Oil pump seal variation in sizes/mdina part different?

The 3 1/2 forum
R1100purist

Oil pump seal variation in sizes/mdina part different?

Post by R1100purist »

Hi all,

I am doing a clutch side tear down to sort a leaking clutch seal. My oil pump seal (green) looks a little worn too so I figure I’ll swap him out too. However when digging through my spare parts, my oil pump seal from mdina appears to be of tool small outside diameter to be a press fit within the oil pump housing like the original is. What gives?
MickeyMoto

Re: Oil pump seal variation in sizes/mdina part different?

Post by MickeyMoto »

I have used the black one but I prefer the old green one. Check the green one carefully, obviously not worth the risk if it is worn.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

The black straight tube type seals is all that has been available for some time now. I too prefer the original and have re-used them many times. The rubber seems pretty resilient and so long as it isn't cut, nicked or otherwise damaged/degraded they can go back in.
I haven't heard of any problems with the new seals but have only used them a couple of times.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
R1100purist

Post by R1100purist »

Thanks all! The new smaller diameter one just makes me nervous. I would say my original just has a little scuffing on the tapered section. Really wrinkles where it looks compressed but it still pliable. I’m still pondering if to re-use. I may just clean up and throw some silicone grease on for good measure?
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

From what you say it sounds a possibility to use it again. As long as it is still rubbery, not cut or split etc. When you come to fit the case you should be able to just feel that rubber being compressed, only by a tiny amount. If the gasket faces are good you could omit the gasket and use 3 Bond or Silicone sealant (sparingly) and that will give the rubber an extra pinch. Have done that a few times when a new gasket wasn't available. No evidence of any problems either.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.