Fuel tap overhaul

The 3 1/2 forum
martinaccarter

Fuel tap overhaul

Post by martinaccarter »

Hello Everyone

The manual fuel tap on my 1977 Strada is leaking and I wonder if there is an overhaul option/kit? If not, what alternative procedures can be recommended? Many thanks in advance

Martin
3potjohn

Re: Fuel tap overhaul

Post by 3potjohn »

New tap is a good option. Maybe try Mdinaitalia or Guzzibits?
lemans

Post by lemans »

I'm using these

https://tlm.nl/moto-guzzi-triumph/65105 ... n-haaks-rh
but should be sourced locally.
regards Anne
martinaccarter

Post by martinaccarter »

Many thanks for your responses

I was hoping to keep the original tap if poss. I've managed to get the tap apart and I've taken the diaphragm out and turned it around and refitted the tap to the bike. It's petrol tight but I will need to get a new diaphragm and fit that before the summer

Cheers

Martin
lemans

Post by lemans »

On my MM500 the electric fuel tap also broke down and I had to resort to using the reserve fueltap while keeping an eye on the daytrip counter. Not the best way to manage your fuelreserve.

Replaced the electric tap with a normal one but due to the fitted tophalf using it was difficult and removing the tank without spilling even more. Not a succesfull mod.

As the electric tap stops delivering fuel when level is less than reserve, meaning that when you hit the reserve and use the reserve tap, -> you are only using your reserve tap to supply fuel. As the electric one, although open, doesn’t deliver.

On my LMII, you can switch both taps to reserve and drain both side of the fuel tank. The fuelline crossover equalizes both sides.

Long story short, remove the electric one, plugged the hole and use the right rear position only with a std fueltap with two positions.

Regards A
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

The club is (at quite some expense) in the process of having new diaphragms for the electric fuel taps remanufactured.

These will be made in Viton so resistant to modern fuel compositions and definitely more supple then the 40-50 year old originals…

They will be available to purchase in the spring. Watch this space!
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

lemans wrote: 16 Jan 2024 21:43

Long story short, remove the electric one, plugged the hole and use the right rear position only with a std fueltap with two positions.

Regards A
Good advice!
But I do this, leave the tap in place and put a length of 8mm bar inside the fuel pipe to stop it because mine would not seal off.
Then use a standard 2 position Moto Guzzi tap on the right hand side.

When the club has the diaphragms I can rebuild it, if i take it off i will just lose in in a pile of other things in the garage.

Mark
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

morini_tom wrote: 16 Jan 2024 23:13 The club is (at quite some expense) in the process of having new diaphragms for the electric fuel taps remanufactured.

These will be made in Viton so resistant to modern fuel compositions and definitely more supple then the 40-50 year old originals…

They will be available to purchase in the spring. Watch this space!
That's good news I have just had to remove my electro tap and fit a spare manual tap. The electro tap was only allowing drips through.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

Quite a few 31/2 Morinis out there with Guzzi V50 taps fitted. They are the same thread and "handed" e.g. one for the left and one for the right. You don't have to change the pipework or plug either side. They have OFF, ON, RESERVE so if you like you can synchronize the position of them when you ride. Probably handy to get the last of the juice out when you go onto reserve :D
Both sides manual taps on the Guzzi V50.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

And that is exactly the system on Airhead BMW and it works perfectly well. On my Morinis one has the electro tap and the other has a vacuum tap. Both run the risk of either leaking fuel into the cylinder/ oil or packing up.
How many times have I forgotten to disconnect the wiring prior to removing the tank?
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Just by way of update on this, the club has now received the first samples from our new tooling for electric tap diaphragms and they look excellent.

We are undergoing a period of testing now and then will be producing a full batch so watch this space and ATG for updates soon.