Starter motor chain snapped

The 3 1/2 forum
Fastmongrel

Starter motor chain snapped

Post by Fastmongrel »

Out for a spin today dodging the wet patches on the road came to some lights and engine stopped (think I need to blow through the pilot jets) pressed starter button crunch clang whirr. Whirring noise but no turning engine.

Didn't fancy trying to start the engine just in case something nasty had happened so I pushed the last half mile home whipped off the casing and found the chain had snapped chewing up half a dozen teeth on the clutch and chipping 2 teeth on starter pinion.
Compress_20231122_170239_9564.jpg
Compress_20231122_170239_9564.jpg (217.99 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
Compress_20231122_170240_0374.jpg
Compress_20231122_170240_0374.jpg (216.04 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
Compress_20231122_170239_9167.jpg
Compress_20231122_170239_9167.jpg (72.26 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
I am guessing the chain is a standard size but I can't find the clutch or the starter motor pinion.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Steve Brown

Re: Starter motor chain snapped

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi, that's a bind! You're right about the chain being a standard size and I bought one at a local bearing shop. They could only supply with a split link which I have use but keep as a spare now. As for the sprockets, I would like to know if any way of replacing them is found too! I have a couple of damaged examples and even the intact ones I have are worn to the extent it's impossible to tension the chain.
So if any of you know how to replace these sprockets please speak up!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
bigred

Post by bigred »

Hi my chain has broken several times. Once it punched its way out of the cover. I Shxt myself everytime I press the starter button incase there's another expensive failure. I use the kickstart despite it being painfull on my replacement knee op leg.
Try Mdina italia for secondhand parts. I have purchased several starter chains from them. Also there might be a secondhand sprocket.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

I have messaged Mdina l have my fingers crossed.

I have been swinging the Kickstarter and it doesn't seem to spin the engine very fast it doesn't engage until the lever is halfway through travel almost horizontal before it catches the gear. Is this correct or do I need to eat more Weetabix.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Take the kickstart off, and reposition it a spline or two 'earlier', but make sure there's some free movement still, before it engages or you will get a horrible constant rattling noise when the engine is running.
Dont grease the splines and do do the pinchbolt (11mm AF spanner) up well. Please dont ask how I know to give this advice....
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

simonnorthroad wrote: 23 Nov 2023 13:30 Take the kickstart off, and reposition it a spline or two 'earlier', but make sure there's some free movement still, before it engages or you will get a horrible constant rattling noise when the engine is running.
Dont grease the splines and do do the pinchbolt (11mm AF spanner) up well. Please dont ask how I know to give this advice....
Thanks Simon I was thinking of trying that but wanted to check I wouldn't damage anything first.

I feel the pain about pinch bolts I had a foot peg make a break for freedom at cough 70mph officer cough. I had been meaning to pull into the next services to check why it was vibrating so much. Fun times riding the next 150 miles.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Moved the Kickstarter 2 splines and it engages earlier and allows for a good swing. Just need to work on my technique and wear my "start ya bastard" boots.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

One question, do you know why the chain snapped?
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I replaced my chain about 14 years ago. It was worn. I wonder if the chain snapped breaking the teeth of could a tooth have broken first? Either way it is a bit of a tricky situation.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

MickeyMoto wrote: 23 Nov 2023 21:11 One question, do you know why the chain snapped?
No idea it could have been the original chain for all I know. Plenty of people have said they have had chains break.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

3potjohn wrote: 23 Nov 2023 22:10 I replaced my chain about 14 years ago. It was worn. I wonder if the chain snapped breaking the teeth of could a tooth have broken first? Either way it is a bit of a tricky situation.
Could be there must be a lot of torque from the electric motor especially as it has to turn the drive 90° which I have been told is never a good thing for electric motor. Basically a bodge straight from the factory.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I always leave slack in the chain, it is easy to havebit too tight. As John says, a tooth may have broken taking the chain with it, but looking at the chain, it appears the roller has pulled out through the end of the plates. It may have seized. I'll have a good look at mine next time the case is off. The chains are not lubricated.

As you say, a bodge from the factory.
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

Fastmongrel wrote: 23 Nov 2023 17:18 Moved the Kickstarter 2 splines and it engages earlier and allows for a good swing. Just need to work on my technique and wear my "start ya bastard" boots.
Forget usual four-stroke practice.Take up any slack on the kickstart, leave the throttle alone, just jab the KS like starting a two-stroke
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

simonnorthroad wrote: 24 Nov 2023 13:37
Fastmongrel wrote: 23 Nov 2023 17:18 Moved the Kickstarter 2 splines and it engages earlier and allows for a good swing. Just need to work on my technique and wear my "start ya bastard" boots.
Forget usual four-stroke practice.Take up any slack on the kickstart, leave the throttle alone, just jab the KS like starting a two-stroke
I stopped for twenty minutes to grab a coffee this afternoon and after standing in a cold wind it wouldn't start. I think it had cooled enough that it needed a bit of choke but of course with the carb lever it's on or off. Got it going after a few minutes of kicking it's a good way to get warm 🥵
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Ming

Post by Ming »

Gosh - you must have bought a right old dog judging from the problems you are having! In my experience with a Strada, several Kanguros and a 2C2, an electric starter is nothing but extra weight. The bikes should start easily enough on the kick start - if everything else is right. You seem to have a good ignition set up, so I'd suggest looking for problems with the carburettors, the timing (even one tooth out on the cam belt can make a big difference apparently), and have a good watch of all Paul Compton's videos.
I accept that a left hand kick start takes some getting used to, I started by standing to the side and using my right leg, but fairly soon got used to it. The height of the Kanguro kickers was the most awkward, and a 250 you just tread on.
Hope you get it sorted before worrying about the electric one.