bearings

The 3 1/2 forum
dunk 1

bearings

Post by dunk 1 »

I have just replaced the bearings in the sprocket carrier. open bearings came out so I put open back in - would I have been able to replace them with a closed bearing? - this is the first time i've done them myself so I'm not that clear - thanks - Duncan
dunk
Steve Brown

sealed bearings

Post by Steve Brown »

Almost certainly, if you use a bearing shop rather than a bike shop they will be able to tell you all the options available in that bearing size.
Don't fret over it though, as long as the standard seal arrangement is in order it should last for years again as long as you avoid the jet wash!

Steve
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

thanks Steve - they came from a local bearing shop sbut i forgot to ask. They had the oil seal for the outer bearing so that should be fine .
The inner bearing had a thin metal washer with a slight rim that pushed in around the bearing partially covering the balls and grease. The original won't fit back and i have a feeling it is a bit archaic for the bearing shop so is this necessary as the bearing is all enclosed in the wheel or should I just knock it back out and get an enclosed one -Duncan
dunk
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi again Duncan, that bit sounds like a grease/dust shield. If you really can't refit it then as you say nocking the bearing out and getting a sealed or shielded replacement is the best bet. If the grease finds its way out here it gets over the cush rubbers and might eventually perish them. I'm a bit sketchy on the exact layout here as it's about 15yrs since I last looked at one on a Morini, but I'll check my old manual in the morning and if I told you a load of tosh I'll post again.

Steve.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I replaced mine a month ago as, when I had the wheel out I found the sprocket carrier was very rough when turned. I got 6005 sealed stainless steel bearings from the Exeter Gearbox Centre and a bunch of other ones for the wheels front and back.Not done these yet.
I put the sprocket carrier into the old le Creuset whn no-one was looking!Warmed up a treat. I think you can get the wheel bearings out using a big rawlbolt in the centre but am a bit sketchy about this having not done it yet.
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

they came out easily enough so it shouldn't be a fuss replacing that one with an enclosed bearing -I@ll go back to the shop tomorrow - incudentally it was a 6004 that came out of mine so i replaced it with that.
duncan
dunk
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Hmmm maybe I meant 6004. Anyhow good luck with that. I will recheck my receipt as the specs were on it.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I'd always buy the sealed versions (2RS suffix) as there's little difference in price these days. You can always pull the seals out if needed.

I buy bearings on-line from either www.simplybearings.co.uk or www.fish4parts.co.uk and keep a stock on the shelf (I do have rather a lot of Morinis).
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

I am staring to get a little annoyed with ny local bearing shop and am not entirely convinced they know what they are doing- i went in to get an enclosed bearing and explained what i needed it for - what i got - sold to me as a 6004 2RS is an NSK 6004 DDU -(although if you look on the bearing it actually says 6004DU and AO3) i am very unsure of the different bearing designations so looked at the NSK website which seems to suggest this has a slightly lower RPM tolerance - does anyone know if it is suitable or am i to go back and start getting shirty - thanks _ Duncan
dunk
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

A DDU suffix is just NSK's equivilent of 2RS.

Some bearing manufacturers will give you limiting speeds for oil or grease lubrication. If it's a sealed bearing, they only come lubricated with grease.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru