Standard ignition advance curve

The 3 1/2 forum
Martha

Standard ignition advance curve

Post by Martha »

Would anyone have a plotted advance curve for the standard ignition system of a 350?
The manual states static timing is -10deg and max advance for strobing is 34deg at 6000rpm. Reality is that full advance probably occurs closer to a max of 5000 rpm. If the advance curve is a straight line, this would give an idle advance of around -2.5deg.
I have a Sachse ignition system fitted by a po. which, when the bike can be persuaded to start, is giving every appearance of being over advanced, despite bike and ignition being set up 'to the book'. The Sachse ignition advance curves all give circa +10deg advance at idle, which may be part of reason for the problems I am seeing.
I would like to replicate the original system characteristic between static and idle by retarding the Sachse ignition to give the idle advance of the factory system (as part of trouble shooting this problem), but need either the factory advance curve or confirmation of my assumption that the factory curve is indeed a straight line between the stated points.
Can anyone provide any hard data please?
Fastmongrel

Re: Standard ignition advance curve

Post by Fastmongrel »

You could contact user lemans she owns SWF ignition in the Netherlands and might be able to help with the ignition curve.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
lemans

Post by lemans »

at the moment I use these in the MM500,

"rpm","ignition advance in drg b TDC"
,"50", ,"0"
,"700", ,"0"
,"1000", ,"5"
,"2000", ,"20"
,"3500", ,"31"
,"9500", ,"31"

but a modified version has been tested, giving more advance at lower revs
but the unit can be programmed to any curve
Martha

Post by Martha »

Excellent, thank you, that is exactly what I am after.