Camshafts

The 3 1/2 forum
mgill

Camshafts

Post by mgill »

Hello to All,

Being winter here in Canada and having nothing to do I've started into the engine on my 76 Strada to cure leaky base gaskets. The bike having only 3200 miles from new, it did occur to me that the heads have likely never been retorqued from new. So now I've got the heads and barrels off I'm thinking I'm half way to putting a hotter cam in there, and was looking for input from the group as to which Cam to use. There is a chance I'll be racing this bike in Vintage classes, but would like to keep it
somewhat manageable for street use as well.
Any thoughts?
Regards,
Mathew
MRC #2795
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

If you have access to a machine shop you can quite easily modify the left hand case to allow you to remove the cam without splitting the cases. I have machined the bearing abutment out and put a circlip groove in mine but I have heard of others machining the groove out and making up a spacer to the primary case to retain the bearing. That said Ive not felt the need to change cam! I'm running a 2-2 in a 501 which i like but the general consensus seems to be the L5 for road and race
mgill

Post by mgill »

Very interesting. I've just ordered a Sport cam and was thinking to get my Strada cam reground to L5 spec. Unless someone has an L5 cam for sale at a reasonable price.
Thanks for that!
MRC #2795