Parts for '78 Strada

The 3 1/2 forum
Martha

Parts for '78 Strada

Post by Martha »

Hi! I am the recent new owner of a Strada and I am currently going through it doing the 'getting to know you' jobs. A couple of things I would like to add/correct/change are an exhaust heat shield and a late-type kick start assembly (the type that pivots out from the bottom). I realise neither are readily available and have been keeping an eye out in the obvious places to see if any come up for sale but without any luck so far. I thought it may be worth a request on here to see if anyone has either of these parts in their stash that is surplus to requirements? Good splines on the kickstart is a 'must', but the general condition for both need only be 'functional'; of course sparkly and shiny would be a bonus!
mbmm350s

Re: Parts for '78 Strada

Post by mbmm350s »

Hello and welcome to the forum and Morini Ownership

Not sure sure which heatshield you mean because there are these options that go with the strada from around this time.

Round side panels
Angular side panels

The round side panel goes with the shorter heatshield and for the strada the steel kick start with the crank at the top like this:
short heatshield.jpg
short heatshield.jpg (124.89 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
The angular side panels usually goes with the longer chrome or black heatshield (black is later models)
The kickstarter is either steel crank at the top or aluminium crank at the bottom.

Like this 1979MY strada
strada1979MY_resized.png
strada1979MY_resized.png (171.14 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
Note that any combination of heatshields and kickstarters can be found as "original", so correct doesn't really mean much to Moto Morini as you will find out from this forum. The aluminium kickstart was used on Sports earlier, and the steel top crank type were used on 250s until the very end of production in 84 and the factory was always in the mode of using what was available to ensure production output was met.

There is also the K2 kickstart which is cranked at the bottom

And 83 strada with this kick start, long black heatshield, on this topic

https://www.morini-riders-club.com/foru ... f=5&t=7052

Mark
Martha

Post by Martha »

Hi Mark, thanks for all of the information. Yes, I am familiar with Italian bikes getting the 'what is on the shelf' approach to parts when newly built... (I have owned 3 Guzzis and two Laverdas over the years!).
From what you have shown, I should be looking for the short heatshield to go with the rounded side panels, though I am not too concerned about absolute originality given the apparent availability of heatshields. I just need something that fits and protects my boots from the exhaust.
I was looking for the later style kickstart as I undestood it to give improved clearance on the side stand; I suspect mine has been subjected to being started whilst on the sidestand with the usual result. Am I correct that it gives additional clearance?
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Having only the 250 framed beast now I can't comment on recent experience with side stand clearance as it hasn't got one.

I can confirm that the 250 kickstart works well on a 350 in a 250 frame. I have the luxury of a late alloy bottom swivelling one fitted at the moment, but have a 250 one in the shed.

My alternative solution to the heat shield issue, albeit on a 2:1 system on a 350 in a 250, is two lengths of stainless exhaust split lengthways. One came as a nearly perfect 'bend'. Held on with screws in to stainless jubilee clips. Crude, perhaps, but effective.

Zorst.jpg
Zorst.jpg (481.19 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi All,

I don't think there should be a problem with a steel kick start and clearance to the side stand. I wonder if the sidestand itself is bent and is too far from the frame at its tip it should tuck well away. Sidestands can be found.

also make sure that the kickstarter is fitted correctly so that its engaging higher if it is too low, the fitting instructions are in the workshop manual A.K.A the blue book which can be found in the members area of our website.

This heatshield was made for the MRC club strada by Paul Compton by slitting a stainless pipe with the appropriate bend
the holes were added by Benjy Straw. I think Paul has a youtube video showing how he did it. https://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

club_strada_heatshield_resized.png
club_strada_heatshield_resized.png (262.25 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Mark
Martha

Post by Martha »

Hi All
Yes, I was anticipating that I may have to fabricate a heatshield and had viewed Paul's solution on youtube. I will keep an eye open for a piece of suitably bent pipe!
The sidestand is a different issue, but I had noticed all was not well prior to buying the bike. It retracts parallel to the frame tube but protrudes 45mm out from the head of the mainstand pivot bolt head outer surface. Far further than the one on the picture of the Club Strada. The kickstart engages within a few degrees of the stop, so I don't believe that is the problem and I suspect that a late type kickstart may still foul the stand. Side stand removal until I am ready to attempt any frame tube straightening may be the most pragmatic way forward.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I believe Oxford Products do exhaust heat shields, they may have one that fits.

I had a Ricky Racer 2:1 on an old Strada and I always burnt holes in my waterproof trousers as I didn't have a heat shield.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Martha wrote: 03 Aug 2023 14:05
The sidestand is a different issue, but I had noticed all was not well prior to buying the bike. It retracts parallel to the frame tube but protrudes 45mm out from the head of the mainstand pivot bolt head outer surface. Far further than the one on the picture of the Club Strada.
Can you post a picture, its sounds like either the bottom frame rail is bent inwards or the sidestand is bent or both.

Yeah remove the side stand if it fouls. Or grind off the sidestand foot a bit to provide clearance.
MickeyMoto wrote: 03 Aug 2023 14:13
I had a Ricky Racer 2:1 on an old Strada and I always burnt holes in my waterproof trousers as I didn't have a heat shield.
ahh Ricky racer - bliss :D
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

mbmm350s wrote: 03 Aug 2023 15:20

ahh Ricky racer - bliss :D
Do what? Pardon? Speak up!
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

MickeyMoto wrote: 03 Aug 2023 14:13 I had a Ricky Racer 2:1 on an old Strada and I always burnt holes in my waterproof trousers as I didn't have a heat shield.
I've a Ricky Racer on my Sport. Having burnt jeans and boots on the exhaust I got a cheap generic heatshield from fleabay - it's just a piece of painted steel with jubilee clips but does the job and doesn't get in the way.

Martha

Post by Martha »

Well, I have tried to shrink a photo of my sidestand to a size that can be coped with here, but working with an android tablet and my general incompetence with matters computing, I cannot get it to a small enough size, hu hum!
I have put a straight edge along the lower frame tube in as many positions as I can and there is no evidence of any bending of the tube; it is perfectly straight. Similarly, close inspection of the lug and adjacent tube shows no evidence of distortion. The sidestand itself is equally free of any evidence of bending.
I have looked at countless images on t'internret and I am beginning to wonder if there are two side stand fittings. Stands on earlier, front drum, bikes seem to tuck in close under the main stand pivot and don't retract to lie parallel with the frame tube. Later bikes, typically with the disc front brake, are like mine. The stand retracts to lie parallel with the frame tube and the foot therefore protrudes further out from the side when retracted. All of these bikes have the later kickstart with the pivot block at the base of the kickstart.
So, a question for those with greater knowledge: Are there in fact two standards of sidestand pivot points on the frame and are they related to the fitment of a specific kickstart assembly?
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

So, a question for those with greater knowledge Are there in fact two standards of sidestand pivot points on the frame and are they related to the fitment of a specific kickstart assembly?
I just swapped a steel starter 38.01.11 for an aluminium starter 38.01.15 on a 1978 350 Sport A/3 standard footrests, the side stand is parallel to the frame, there is easily 10mm of clearance between the foot of stand and starter, the aluminium starter has about 30mm of clearance
As for the pivot I think there is an extra brace on the underside on the A/3 versus A/2 , whether the position was changed I don't know.

The final image size for the forum needs to 250KB or less if I recall correctly, like resize of 20-25 %. This is because we have (without paying a lot of money) restrictions on the amount of on line storage.
As it happens the MRC is desperate to have the position of web and forum admin post filled as both the Website and this forum, which is free to everyone reading this, requires upgrading and continuous maintenance.

Cheers Mark
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

I have put a straight edge along the lower frame tube in as many positions as I can and there is no evidence of any bending of the tube; it is perfectly straight. Similarly, close inspection of the lug and adjacent tube shows no evidence of distortion. The sidestand itself is equally free of any evidence of bending.
Your frame is most likely twisted. This happened on my '76 3 1/2 Sport, and I saw the same thing had happened to a friends '75 3 1/2 Sport. I ditched my sidestand and only use the centrestand. I even went as far as cutting off the sidestand lug to make it look better...

Trevor
scbond2@yahoo.co.uk

Post by scbond2@yahoo.co.uk »

The problem I have with using the centre stand on my 81 sport is that it makes it awkward due to height

Is it possible to rotate backward a few notches like the ( strada ) pictures suggests?
RedVee

Post by RedVee »

70sbikes wrote: 07 Aug 2023 09:13
Your frame is most likely twisted. This happened on my '76 3 1/2 Sport, and I saw the same thing had happened to a friends '75 3 1/2 Sport. I ditched my sidestand and only use the centrestand. I even went as far as cutting off the sidestand lug to make it look better...

Trevor
I have this issue too, it has sort of 'rolled/rotated' more then twisted!
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?