H4 bulbs can I swap for an LED bulb

The 3 1/2 forum
Fastmongrel

H4 bulbs can I swap for an LED bulb

Post by Fastmongrel »

I have an 81 Strada with the rectangular headlight when I bought it a non halogen 50/40w bulb was fitted which is about as useful as a candle in a jam jar

Can I update to an LED without blinding everyone and screwing up my wiring. The wires in the headlight bucket were a bit wimpy so I have upgraded them to 15amp wire. The wiring harness has not been touched but has good continuity and virtually zero resistance.

I was thinking of buying one of these they seem to get reasonable reviews

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374184097131 ... media=COPY
1981 3 1/2 Strada
3potjohn

Re: H4 bulbs can I swap for an LED bulb

Post by 3potjohn »

Also have a look at Paul Goff’s site http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/

My Sport should have had the rectangular light but that came as a spare, the bike being fitted with the concave Cibie unit. The only longish night riding I have done was in very dark France and it performed well. At present it is running a Phillips Vision Plus bulb which is probably past it’s optimum now.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

3potjohn wrote: 20 Jul 2023 06:16 Also have a look at Paul Goff’s site http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/

My Sport should have had the rectangular light but that came as a spare, the bike being fitted with the concave Cibie unit. The only longish night riding I have done was in very dark France and it performed well. At present it is running a Phillips Vision Plus bulb which is probably past it’s optimum now.
I have looked at Paul Geoff's site but the bulbs are a bit expensive to buy if it turns out that the wiring or the reflector can't handle it. I don't mind a £15 bulb that doesn't work but a £40 bulb is too much to sit in a box
1981 3 1/2 Strada
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

I'm running a similar LED bulb in several of my bikes, mostly to keep the load down on old charging systems, but also to make myself more visible during the day. I rarely ride at night though, so no feedback on whether they "blind" oncoming traffic.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Fastmongrel wrote: 20 Jul 2023 08:51
3potjohn wrote: 20 Jul 2023 06:16 Also have a look at Paul Goff’s site http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/

I have looked at Paul Geoff's site but the bulbs are a bit expensive to buy if it turns out that the wiring or the reflector can't handle it. I don't mind a £15 bulb that doesn't work but a £40 bulb is too much to sit in a box
Those £40 bulbs from Paul Goff are miles better than the cheap ones I tried previously. The cheapies had a rubbish beam pattern and a lot of scatter. The one I have in my 500 Morini is brilliant-literally. A good beam pattern and a clearly defined dip to the left. Much brighter than old bulbs too.
Don't worry about your wiring or the load-they use a lot less current than normal bulbs. I'm even considering buying 2 more for a bike with 2 headlamps so I can flash a reminder to the eejits who forget to dip at night... :evil:
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Thanks Steve I will put an order in for a new H4 LEB bulb from Paul Goff plus an LED tail/stop bulb.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

AntietamClassicCycle wrote: 20 Jul 2023 13:08 I'm running a similar LED bulb in several of my bikes, mostly to keep the load down on old charging systems, but also to make myself more visible during the day. I rarely ride at night though, so no feedback on whether they "blind" oncoming traffic.
That's why I wanted LEDs front and back I like to ride with dipped lights. Side lights are no use on a sunny day.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Fastmongrel wrote: 20 Jul 2023 22:59 Thanks Steve I will put an order in for a new H4 LEB bulb from Paul Goff plus an LED tail/stop bulb.
Be aware of my experience with the rear ones.
As they shine directly at the back of the reflector, I found that due to the nature of LEDs, I was getting little or no light off to the sides and precious little from the back. It was actually dimmer than an old-style bulb. This was a few years ago and the designs may have changed so as they say, YMMV.

Cheers,
DD
MRC 3082½
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Daddy Dom wrote: 23 Jul 2023 00:42
Fastmongrel wrote: 20 Jul 2023 22:59 Thanks Steve I will put an order in for a new H4 LEB bulb from Paul Goff plus an LED tail/stop bulb.
As they shine directly at the back of the reflector, I found that due to the nature of LEDs, I was getting little or no light off to the sides and precious little from the back. It was actually dimmer than an old-style bulb. This was a few years ago and the designs may have changed so as they say, YMMV.

Cheers,
DD
Good point I have double checked on the Paul Goff website and the tail bulb are made with 5 LEDs 4 of which shine to the sides
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyleds.htm
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

[/quote]

Good point I have double checked on the Paul Goff website and the tail bulb are made with 5 LEDs 4 of which shine to the sides
[/quote]

Oh, that's great to know!
Lord knows, a 40-year-old loom needs all the relief it can get!
MRC 3082½
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Daddy Dom wrote: 24 Jul 2023 01:29
[/quote]

Oh, that's great to know!
Lord knows, a 40-year-old loom needs all the relief it can get!
[/quote]

That's why I am going for Led front and rear. Indicators and idiot lights draw next to no power so going to leave the filament bulbs in.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Daddy Dom wrote: 23 Jul 2023 00:42

Cheers,
DD
Good point Dom, I found similar with the LED rear I tried. It was a while ago though and I think there is something about the colour of the LEDs too. Something like it's better to use white LEDs with a traditional red lens? Or vice versa..I haven't worried about the rear lamp since then, it's only 5 watts and if that is critical you have problems elsewhere to fix!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

I have LED headlight and 3 of 4 Morinis, and LED tail in all. No problem with the rear since I decided not to use Halfords, I had two of these from Halfords fail in a year. The last Morini has a CIBIE unit and I haven't found an H4 LED that would fit yet.

One thing with the LED headlights is that they can flicker, this is caused by a feedback loop through the Main Beam warning light, this can be fixed by putting at least one and preferably two diodes in series with the warning light bulb, or leave it out entirely.

Mark
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

Steve Brown wrote: 24 Jul 2023 19:46 Good point Dom, I found similar with the LED rear I tried. It was a while ago though and I think there is something about the colour of the LEDs too. Something like it's better to use white LEDs with a traditional red lens? Or vice versa..I haven't worried about the rear lamp since then, it's only 5 watts and if that is critical you have problems elsewhere to fix!
Use an LED the same color/colour as the lens it's behind.
mbmm350s wrote: 25 Jul 2023 12:17 I have LED headlight and 3 of 4 Morinis, and LED tail in all. No problem with the rear since I decided not to use Halfords, I had two of these from Halfords fail in a year. The last Morini has a CIBIE unit and I haven't found an H4 LED that would fit yet.

One thing with the LED headlights is that they can flicker, this is caused by a feedback loop through the Main Beam warning light, this can be fixed by putting at least one and preferably two diodes in series with the warning light bulb, or leave it out entirely.

Mark
Does the Cibie use a P45T base bulb (round without three prongs) vs. the more common P43T (semi-round with three prongs)? There are adapters available: https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collec ... lb-adapter
I also found an LED bulb on Amazon that had the P45T base.

I've never had the flicker issue on any of the dozen or so different bulbs I've tried over the last 6 years.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

I finally got round to fitting the Paul Goff LED bulbs and nearly burnt my retinas

Before
After
After
Compress_20230817_161852_2076.jpg (313.41 KiB) Viewed 2827 times

After
Before
Before
Compress_20230817_161851_1510.jpg (287.09 KiB) Viewed 2827 times
1981 3 1/2 Strada