Possible newbie

The 3 1/2 forum
pupton

Possible newbie

Post by pupton »

Hi all

Happy new year to everyone...

I'm on the look out for a 2nd bike on spring 09. I have previously owned new bikes only and commute on a daily basis 20 miles round trip. My current main ride is a Buell CityX. I love the bike and am not selling it. My plan is to get a 2nd bike thats smaller and lighter that I can muck about with and enjoy with my 9 year old Son.

I've been looking at one of the new Royal Enfield's, possibly the Clubman. Over the Xmas break I remembered a recent trip I had back in October 08 to North Leicester Motorcycles. At the time I was going to look at the new Morini 1200 Sport. As it turned out, the Sport was not to my liking but I did spot one of their 31/2's that they had parked over the road. I must say now that I am totally ignorant to the history of Moto Morini but I like what I see.

My current liking is one of the 31/2 or a 501. I am afflicted with a fat stomach and weigh 16 stones so don't know how I will fit on one of the small morini's so I suppose I need all of you're advise and thoughts on a purchase and the running of a Morini.

Realistically I'll purchase from NLM. I like the look of the smart one thats priced up at nearly £4k. I know its very expensive for what it is but I'm hoping it'll be reliable and sorted???

You're thoughts please... Be kind now because I may be suffering a dose of naivity (cant spell)....
---
www.fatbiker.co.uk
pupton

Post by pupton »

Something to add to this... I've only ever ridden bikes with the gears on the left so am a bit concerned about getting it all wrong. Especially when back on the Buell...
---
www.fatbiker.co.uk
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

The only time I get slightly confused is when switching to a bike with a similar riding position, ie from a 350 to a R100RS ( well it is similar enough for me) any of the others are so different the problem never appears.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I have bikes with left foot shift and bikes with right foot shift. If you regularly swap back and forth, it doesn't seem to be a problem. At the moment, I'm having a problem swapping between two right foot patterns, up-for-up and down-for-up.

I know a gentleman of similar weight to yourself who was quite happy bimbling around on a Morini 150 single. A 350 wouldn't be a problem, it's a very willing engine.

As a Morini novice, I'd steer you away from the early Sport. They may be the most 'desirable', but they're not the easiest to live with. The footpegs are a long way forward and the riding position has been described as 'A monkey making love to a football'. The later Sport has a rearset arrangement, but it's still not far enough back and most people fit aftermarket linkages. The Front drum, whilst very powerful, is not ideal for someone used to hydraulic discs. I've got the same brake on my much heavier Motobi (Benelli) Tornado and I'm still getting used to it. They don't give a lot of braking with cold linings. Under hard braking the force builds up fast whilst the lever pressure stays the same, so you have to learn to back off. An early GT (Strada) is much easier to live with than the Sport with a touring riding position and a softer but more than adequate brake.

They did make bikes with wire wheels and discs, but they're not that common. They only made them for about a year before they moved onto alloy wheels and front disc (twin discs optional). From somewhere around 1978, they started fitting electric starters (retaining the kickstart) and these were not all that reliable. They can be made to work pretty well, but since the bike is so easy to kickstart, many people just take them off and save the weight. Later bikes gained twin discs as standard, then a rear disc and eventually a left foot shift.

Morinis in regular use tend to be reliable, most problems seem to stem from bikes that have been recomissioned after standing for a few years. NLM will give you a warantee, but if you join the club, you may well find a bargain in the magazine.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
pupton

Post by pupton »

Thanks for the very helpful replies people. Really informative.

Im now in email contact with NLM and will see where it gets me. I have not sat on one of these bikes as yet and NLM is a good 1.5 - 2 hours away so i cant just pop by for a look around.

I am also going to have a look at the Morini of road bikes that NLM are selling BUT I much prefer the looks of the 31/2...
---
www.fatbiker.co.uk
stuart

favourite Morini..

Post by stuart »

Well, everyone has their favourite dont they?

The sport, when fitted with Rearset footrests, looks glorious and rides brilliantly. I cant comment on the disk vs drum (as Paul Compton has) due to lack of experience, however its certainly widely remarked that the drum can be vicious. having said that, I found a single front disc similar and massively improved by fitting a second.

Regarding the r/h gearchange, I agree that providing you swap between bikes fairly regularly then it's not a problem. I've heard of people selling Morini's as they can't get used to them, however surely exactly the same applies when moving from a r/h drive car to a l/h drive car... you may try and change gear with the door handle the first few times, but you soon learn that using your right hand to change gear seems to be more effective!

£4K seems a little on the astronomic side though.... I would expect a MINT RESTORED and highly original spoked wheel sport to fetch that sort of money, and nothing less.
pupton

Post by pupton »

I dont have any problems driving left or right hand drive cars so maybe I just need to get on one and go....

Gonna take a trip up to NLM some time in Feb and have a look see at their stock...

Paul
---
www.fatbiker.co.uk