front wheel

The 3 1/2 forum
dunk 1

front wheel

Post by dunk 1 »

got the front wheel off at the moment and loooking at the diagram in the parts catalogue i seem to have one bit missing which doesn't make me happy.
on the non disc side their is a part called the tapered washer - should this be obvious as i can't see it.
However on the disc side is a strange shaped ring a bit like a hat which puses in around the side of the bearing and then spreads out - this does not seem to be on the diagram .
could someone clarify please - thanks - duncan
dunk
George 350

Post by George 350 »

OK, hopefully this will make sense.
The spindle is inserted from the right hand side and passes through the speedo drive, then the wheel, a top-hat spacer (smaller diameter towards bearing) and then through the fork leg. The spindle nut and large washer behind it is then tightened so that the wheel is clamped tightly to the left fork leg.
At this point, it can be worthwhile taking the bike off the stand and "bouncing" the front down a couple of times to make sure everything is inline before you tighten the pinch bolt on the right leg to clamp the wheel firmly in the forks.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

yep got all those bits - it was the extra tapered washer on rthe diagram I was concerned about on the speedo drive side of the wheel -still it all seems ok anyway - thanks - Duncan
dunk
stuart

front wheel / tapered washer

Post by stuart »

I bought the tapered washers, as per parts manual, from NLM. Couldnt work out how they could fit.... put them back in the box of spares and fitted wheel without them.... its fine! Stuart at NLM suggested they may have been required on earlier versions but Morini didnt update parts books regularly (if at all!)
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

thanks Stuart that makes a lot of sense- perhaps i shouldn't always assume things are wrong. I have just taken the back wheel off as I intend to take the swing arm off to touch up the paint in a few areas and it has the tapered washers fitted - they just clip in over the bearing.

thanks - Duncan
dunk
kmamac

top hat spacer

Post by kmamac »

Apologies about high jacking this post but I have just started putting together my 500 after starting a complete restoration and cannot find these top hat spaces in the box of bits I have. Could someone measure them up for me (with a digital caliper if posible) and post the dimensions. I plan to turn them up in stainless. I have recently got an old lathe working in my garage and have started to make some of the simpler things up. I have no experience of such matters so its all coming from books! Thanks in advance.
Keith
(SE London)
p.s. is it OK to highjack a post or should I have started a new one?