Rocker cover breather valve stuck

The 3 1/2 forum
Fastmongrel

Rocker cover breather valve stuck

Post by Fastmongrel »

I have taken off the rear rocker box cover to clean and repaint it. I have noticed that the sprung breather valve is stuck solid I don't have a manual but I am assuming that this should be free to slide up and down.
enginedef~2.jpg
enginedef~2.jpg (403.27 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
The valve is highlighted in pink top left of image which I pinched off the Dutch owners club website. How should I unfreeze the valve without doing any damage to the valve and or the rocker box cover I don't want to lever it and crack something. Lots of GT85 and a hairdryer have done nothing.
Last edited by Fastmongrel on 13 Jan 2023 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
norbert

Re: Rocker cover breather valve stuck

Post by norbert »

There is a spring that should keep the "valve" (it´s more a labyrinth than a valve) from falling down. Usually this labyrinths are very stuck in the cover. Why do you want to take it off with a certain risk of breaking anything? There is nothing sofisticated inside just that labyrinth no moving parts. Give it a bit of brake cleaner spray and leave it like it is. Or that´s what I would do.
Heat will help anyway if you want to take it out.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

As already said these do not usually come out or need to.Main thing is make sure you don’t knock the spring off when refitting the cover.
The manual e.g. The Blue Book can be downloaded from the members area I belive.
John
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't want to remove the labyrinth I just thought as it had a spring it must need to be able to move. I will leave it well alone 😜
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

As said above, the spring just holds it in place. If you want to remove it (I would if the history isn't known or it's very dirty/blocked) A small pin punch (1/8" approx) through the breather hose spigot and a light tap should free it off. As these motors can make a fair amount of mayonnaise I think it's worth cleaning them.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

I have blown through with brake cleaner and it seems clear. The rocker box is spotless inside.
1981 3 1/2 Strada