Throttle cable retaining pins

The 3 1/2 forum
3potjohn

Throttle cable retaining pins

Post by 3potjohn »

Riding back ahead of an impending downpour today the bike revved uncontrollably, luckily just next to a lay-by so I killed the motor and coasted to a halt. The front carb was the culprit with slack at the cable, so the slide was stuck open. Bit of a fiddle and it seemed to settle. Got back avoiding wide throttle. Upon removing the carb top I found the little cable retaining hollow plastic pin that fits into the slide was adrift. I have never given these much thought before but it did seem a slack fit in the slide.
Heated it and reformed it on a nail.
This got me wondering if these items are correct or indeed why has it never come out before. Cannot seem to find any reference to it.
Since I am having a senior moment here is another: is the correct route for the cable end adjacent to or inside the spring? Too much time working on PHBH carbs has blanked my memory of VHB’s.
John
Steve Brown

Re: Throttle cable retaining pins

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi John, I don't remember any retaining pin here either, maybe the nipple is too small or the recess in the slide is too large?
The cable should run adjacent to the return spring too..
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

The images on the “this old tractor” pages show that too. The pins were there when I got this bike in 2007. I will have another look at them tomorrow. I renewed the slides in 2008 and have had new cables years ago. I wonder if the springs are softer than standard.Odd though nonetheless.
John
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Some carbs have a split pin there to stop the cable slipping out, maybe a PO copied that idea if he was having trouble.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.