Early Strada rear rack

The 3 1/2 forum
martinaccarter

Early Strada rear rack

Post by martinaccarter »

Me again I’m afraid!

I’ve got a rear rack to put on my ‘77 Strada and I’m not sure how the rear mounts attach. They are at 45 degrees and so I think there is a cross member bracket that bolts on to the rear light mount. I could make one up and drill holes in the light mount but I’m very reluctant to if there is a better solution.

If anyone has a pic they could post of a rack in situ that would be very helpful

Thanks

Martin
Steve Brown

Re: Early Strada rear rack

Post by Steve Brown »

Hi Martin, the racks did attach as you thought via the bracket on the frame securing the mudguard and rear light. At the front end there were a couple of different methods I've found. There was a small strap type bracket that went from the top shock mounting bolt, on the inside of the frame. Some were secured from rotating down under load by also using the 6mm holes near the grab handle. I have two samples of these brackets and may get them copied and laser cut as I want to fit luggage to my bike too. The front fixing is good and sturdy but the rear is less so. I have seen some that also located on the indicator bracket. That will help share the load but I've also seen those brackets fall off with only an indicator on them!
So if you plan any real load on here I'd say an extension strap to the pillion footrest/silencer hangers would be the answer.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
martinaccarter

Re: Early Strada rear rack

Post by martinaccarter »

Thank you Steve that’s very useful. I’ll have to get some rubber grommets and the like to protect the bike.

Cheers

Martin