idiot lights

The 3 1/2 forum
martinaccarter

idiot lights

Post by martinaccarter »

Hello to All

I have recently acquired a 1977 Strada and replaced the 3 lights on the "dashboard" between the clocks. The "green" lights on and the "blue" high beam both work properly. The "red" ignition light, however, simply stays illuminated after start up and when the engine is running at battery charging speed or above. My question is, is this normal? Or is it indicative of a charging fault somewhere?

Cheers to all

Martin
George 350

Re: idiot lights

Post by George 350 »

Hi Martin,
This is 100% normal. Mine got converted into an indicator repeater lamp instead - much more useful.
Enjoy Morini-ing!

George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

martinaccarter wrote: 17 Sep 2022 12:11 The "red" ignition light, however, simply stays illuminated after start up and when the engine is running at battery charging speed or above. My question is, is this normal? Or is it indicative of a charging fault somewhere?
Yes, completely normal - scared the crap out of me until I asked the same question. I thought I'd been sold a right lemon! I was told that it's to assure you that you've got enough battery power to switch the fuel tap solenoid.
martinaccarter

Post by martinaccarter »

Thanks Both

I don't quite see the logic of it staying on but at least its not indicative of a fault which is good news
norbert

Post by norbert »

There is no logic at all, it just shows you, that you have turned the key, and burns meanwhile your battery is not dead.
Using it for the indicators is much more reasonable :wink:
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

norbert wrote: 18 Sep 2022 20:04 There is no logic at all, it just shows you, that you have turned the key, and burns meanwhile your battery is not dead.
Using it for the indicators is much more reasonable :wink:
I suppose it functions as a reminder to turn the key off when it has stalled at tickover!
Carts

Post by Carts »

Hello.

Just looking into the 3 idiot lights on my Morini.

It’s a 350 frame with a 478 engine. With Sachse ignition

The red light has now started coming on when hot and using engine hard.

Up until now only seen it coming on occasionally when turned key

As others have said before on this thread should the light be on when the ignition is switched on or is there other thing it could be. I’m used to a bike showing the read light meaning the bikes not changing fully

The other 2 light one for indicator and one for main / high beam

Thanks for your thorough,
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, the 478 engine can have an oil pressure switch on the front lower clutch/primary drive cover and on the Morini 500 it's linked to a red telltale/idiot light.
So first check if there is a pressure switch wired to the red light of your hybrid Morini
Early 350s have different wiring to the 500 especially the switch and light circuits
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have never understood the merit of the ignition on red light. My two do not have this.The oil pressure switch on my late 350 thus far has told me that it has to be replaced when it stays lit. ( and as I often say not to be confused with same on a T160)
Oddly in my view some much later Morinis (Cagiva) do not have one even though my instrument panel has provision for oil pressure and charge warning lights. Must be the Elefant in the room.
Carts

Post by Carts »

Great call.

Yep there a oil pressure switch where you said

Next question what would cause a low oil pressure

The oil is half way up dipstick

The light only comes on ( last 2 runs ) when running at motorway speeds. If I slow a little the light dims goes out, will go on again at tick over.

Could it be bike running hot.

More though?
'It must be a .....'

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Before doing anything else
First check/change the oil pressure switch and that the sump oil filter is clean and not restricting the oil feed at higher revs
Carts

Post by Carts »

Hi thanks good advice

Bike been a long term project. Only thing I haven’t delved into to deeply i engine.

I know front cylinder is burning oil.

Was going to take engine out and send to someone who know them to strip and rebuild.

I’ll know it’s 100% then.

Thanks again for all your time.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

If the days is hot you may have the wrong oil. Do you use 10/40? Try 20/50 in summer. If not, then of course it could mean your bearings may be getting worn.

On my Sport, the light came on and it was a faulty sender. Scared the you know what out of me as I was 100 miles from home. Changed the sender and was ok afterwards.
Carts

Post by Carts »

I used 10w40 semi. Um may be the problem, was a hot day 1st time it came on. Last night was only may be 18c was at 8ish in evening.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

As said these oil pressure switches fail ether completely or intermittently. I have had two or three in the past 16 years. I would fit a new one and check again unless there are any unusual engine noises. The pressure has to be pretty low for the switch to trigger. It must extinguish as soon as the motor fires up.