Tyres

The 3 1/2 forum
martinaccarter

Tyres

Post by martinaccarter »

Hello to Everybody
I am a newbie having just acquired a silver 1977 Strada. I've been super fortunate - it's spent all of its life in or near to Ravenna - only two owners and less than 4,000 kms in 45 years. I have fallen in love...!

I have a couple of questions which I'll post under separate Subjects and the first is about tyres. The originals clearly need replacing and I am looking at Bridgestone BT46s, 90/90 front and 100/90 rear. My question is this - are these tyres ok to run with tubes inside? I think they need to be classified as "UM" tyres to take tubes but I can't find the answer for the size of tyre needed for the Strada

Failing that, what are the recommended tyres these days for gentlish road use on a Strada?

Many thanks in advance

Martin
Steve Brown

Re: Tyres

Post by Steve Brown »

You'll be fine with those sizes and tyres. These bikes aren't fussy about brands but it is worth avoiding the fat tyre temptation, especially on the front. Just about any brand in those sizes, of fairly modern tyres will be fine. Glad you're liking the bike and welcome aboard-warning thouugh, if they work for you at all they are addictive!
And yes they will be fine with tubes too.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
martinaccarter

Post by martinaccarter »

Thank you Steve that is very helpful
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

I went through the tyre game last year. The choices for decent quality tyres (i.e. ignoring Chen Shin or similar) seems to be BT46s, Avon Roadrier 2s or Conti Go. Each have their adherents. I went for the Avons as they were well regarded and significantly cheaper. The only hassle is that they are an incredidibly tight fit on the alloy rims, as in 3 separate tyre shops and over 120psi to fit!

Also be wary of tyres like the Conti Street which you can get in the right size but not an adequate speed rating.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi
I have been using Avon Roadriders, but I also had same problem as Vitesse last time, I only needed 80psi and three attempts
to get the bead to pop out and that was scary enough. Next time I will take to a tyre fitter.

Cheers
Mark
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

In 15 years I have only ever used Bridgestone BT45s then 46s with tubes. They are fantastic on my Sport.
DD
MRC 3082½