Stator Rewind - who's good to do it?

The 3 1/2 forum
RedVee

Stator Rewind - who's good to do it?

Post by RedVee »

My dear old 1977 girl has decided to pack up charging and I've been advised the stator needs a rewind. A search on here suggest West Country Windings or Rex's Speed Shop have been used in the past.
Does anyone have any recent experience of either or any other companies they have used.
I'm based near Bath.
Cheers
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
MickeyMoto

Re: Stator Rewind - who's good to do it?

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hello,

West Country Winding did my magneto coil, but said they wouldn't touch the alternator windings. They are based near Harlow in the middle of nowhere. Ring them and see if they are willing to do the coils.

I have not tried Rex's Speed Shop.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi,
I think both companies you mentioned are still able to do this work.

If a coil is burned out its obvious. If all the coils are burned out its very obvious!
Unless there was some catastrophic fault that caused the battery to discharge through the stator this is rare.

Sometimes the lighting coil wires break at or near the joints and careful visual inspection and meter measurement you can isolate the break.
If you are really lucky they can be resoldered.
If you are just lucky then the break is on the external wire which can be unwound one turn and resoldered.
If you are unlucky and its on an internal winding i have as a temporary bodge bridged the break with some stranded wire.
I accept this could create a hot spot and is a bodge.
In any event it isn't really necessary to rewind all the coils, only the one which is faulty.

For this you could ask George Lane (on FB or see ad in ATG)

p.s. sometimes one of the stator wires gets trapped under the stator or has broken somewhere along its length.

Mark
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

Hello All,
I have used George Lane and received very good service from him, I have also used Rex Speed shop no overly impressed with them, and I have also tried to use West Country Windings but they would not undertake the work.
Hope that help’s.
Regards Pete.
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

RedVee Ive PMed you, since youre my neighbour
RedVee

Post by RedVee »

Sorry my response is a little late but I've been to the MGP. Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.
I'll let you know who I use etc.
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?