Electric Fire

The 3 1/2 forum
Onecos

Electric Fire

Post by Onecos »

Saturday was great. I rode the Morini across the island to check on the Laverda. I came home, ate supper and took her for another ride. Stopped at a liquor store and bought a pint. went to start the bike and it smoked. Smelled like electrics. Called the wife to drive the F250 over and pick me up. What should I check first? I would take it to the Morini mechanic but this is the only Morini in Hawaii. Guess I am the Hawaii Morini mechanic. Please help. Aloha. :cry:
Aloha
hendre

Post by hendre »

have you had a look at any parts yet, guess if there was smoke you must discover a cooked part in there somwhere :(
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Maybe a frayed wire under the tank, or a short in the switch?I would think it has to be a live wire short once the key was turned to on. I would pull the right hand engine cover off and make sure the generator looks OK too. Any control cables rubbing any wiring? What about the side cover rubbing the loom? I should remove the fuel tank too.
No experience of such unpleasantness (yet!) on my Morini but some on old BSA's. That smell of roasting wiring is terrifying.. Let us know if you do find something obvious.
Onecos

Post by Onecos »

I pulled the tank and side covers. Couldn't find any fried wires. I'm going to remove the spark plugs and see if I have spark. The neutral light still lights on the dash. guess that's a good thing.
Aloha
Onecos

Post by Onecos »

It only get's worse. While riding the Buell I was broadsided by an SUV. the guy was making a left turn and didn't see me. For you Brits that's the same as a right hand turn across traffic. (Someday you guys will get it right and drive on the correct side of the road!!!!) I was thrown about 50ft, broke my wrist and scraped all over. now in pain typing with one hand. Fortunate thing is that I can buy parts for the Buell. The Morini 2C is difficult. Aloha.
Aloha
Morinijen

Post by Morinijen »

OMG Onecos! :shock:

So sorry to hear about this incident. :(

Hopefully you will soon be mended.. and the Buell.. and the Morini.

Best Wishes to you.
Jenny.
Onecos

Post by Onecos »

Thanks Bro... You guys need to learn to drive on the correct side of the road. My freakin wrist hurts..... Got my son assessing the damage to the Buell....
Aloha
hendre

Post by hendre »

guess if you did not spot any fried wires it could be the generator or rectifier :shock:
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Na! we have it correct,it allows you to shoot with your right hand.Much better. You can only stand the Dukes of Hazzard for so long.Cant waive at other bikers without taking your hand of the throttle though.
Sorry to hear of the bad luck.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Onecos wrote:Thanks Bro... You guys need to learn to drive on the correct side of the road. ....
Why? Was it a Brit that hit you? Anyway, I think we are switching gradually. It certainly seems more common to drive wherever you feel like and only get out of the other folks way if they are bigger than you. :?