Headlight Upgrades - Blast from the past

The 3 1/2 forum
BumbleBee

Headlight Upgrades - Blast from the past

Post by BumbleBee »

Not news to anyone who has had a Morini since the '70s but back in the day, people did all sorts of things to ditch the original CEV 197 headlight with it's ?35/35W? Tungsten bayonet bulb. Just one of the popular choices was fitting a 6.5 inch headlight glass/reflector from a 1978 CB250N Super Dream. It JUST squeezes into the standard CEV chrome rim and looked pretty original once it was there. if you bought carefully the right version brought you the benefit of the popular H4 P43T "three tags" bulb holder, which took the most popular version of the 55/60W halogen bulb. These days the same holder would of course take an LED version of the same bulb. The CB250N unit must have seen several decades of service in my Morini including before I owned it, until recently the back fell off. That's pretty good service really. I had assumed that it would be hard to find a '78 super dream unit here in 2022 but no, it seems you can buy a "Xanadu" branded unit from several places. So if you like your Morini to have the size and style of headlight it was built with and look as standard (and you like to see where you are going) then it's still possible. I bought ours from motorcycleproducts.co.uk item number SKU; 018357 other sources are probably out there. You don't need to buy a big old 17" or a BMW car size 15 3/4"unit unless you really want to.
G&A
Last edited by BumbleBee on 22 Aug 2022 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
MickeyMoto

Re: Headlight - Blast from the past

Post by MickeyMoto »

I still have my 1980s Cibie, bought from Halfrauds in Dartford for my Superdooperdream, then transplanted onto my Morini.

I try not to go out at night these days. In bed with a good book and a cup of cocoa. I'm sure 3Pot will be along shortly with some deer stories... :)
huub

Re: Headlight Upgrades - Blast from the past

Post by huub »

you can also fit a LED headlight bulb in the original reflector.
look for 3000K color , they are a nice golden color.

as they pull less amps than stock they also keep your stock switches from burning
especially if you have a older 350
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Yep , concave Cibie seems to work well enough.The bulb is a Phillips Vision Plus . Probably due for a replacement, it is years old.Don’t ride in the dark if I can avoid it.
jones3321

Post by jones3321 »

Hi,

On reading this thread I bought the Honda headlight. I opened up my CEV headlight and found four connections. The Honda replacement has three. Which of the CEV four do I connect to the Honda three. Then there is the issue of the Honda parking light ? Where do I connect this ?

Thanks for any tips,

Alastair
BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

Hi Alastair, can you post a picture of your four wires on the back of your original headlight?
Also which switchgear do you have on the handlebars?
jones3321

Post by jones3321 »

Thanks for your reply. I will run out to my garage in the morning :D
jones3321

Post by jones3321 »

Hi Bumblebee,

I hope you can see these

BumbleBee

Post by BumbleBee »

Ok on the new headlight bulb (viewed as in your photo) the connection on the left is for the earth wire. The connection on the top is for the low beam wire. The connection on the right is for the high beam wire. For the side light bulb the center connection is for the side light wire and the other is for the earth wire. You will need a H4 P43T headlight connector block and perhaps some small wiring to replace the link wires you currently have. Careful to choose one which is not too long or wide for the headlight shell that you have.
Please take a meter and check your wire colours in case they don't match mine, which are as follows.
Headlight, Blue on mine is earth return. White on mine is low beam. Black on mine is high beam.
Side light, Yellow Green on mine is side light, Blue on mine is earth return.
You will need to join your two Blue wires into one connector at the headlight shell.
jones3321

Post by jones3321 »

Thank you Bumblebee - very clear.