Spanner and Socket sizes

The 3 1/2 forum
SamT

Spanner and Socket sizes

Post by SamT »

Please can anyone post the metric sizes needed fro 3 1/2 and especially for front wheel spindle nut and the rear swinging arm?
I have a set of metric sockets from 10 mm to 21 mm (except 17 mm) and various open and combination spanners 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18 and 19 mm.
Thanks Sam
SamT
Steve Brown

Re: Spanner and Socket sizes

Post by Steve Brown »

You'll need a 17mm! One of the most common sizes! Also 22, 24, 28, 30 and 32 all crop up on Morinis.
This all assumes the fasteners you have are original sizes and haven't been replaced with something else in the past. There is every other mm size in use in other machinery especially from China.
So is that Misterton Leicestershire?
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I'd go for two 13mm spanners! The chain adjuster needs both to nip up the locknut!

I think the sump plug is 18mm, just in case you wonder why a 19 feels loose and a 17 doesn't fit!

You will also need a set of Allen keys!
SamT

Post by SamT »

Thanks for all your replies. It's an '82 3 1/2 Strada.
I have full sets of imperial and metric Allen keys.
I will look for 17mm socket and some of the other spanner sizes.
The swinging arm nuts are larger than any of the sockets or spanners I have. Across the flats LHS 23mm, RHS 30mm
Front wheel axle LHS nut is 24mm across the flats.
My location is Misterton in South Somerset
SamT
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The rear wheel spindle has two nuts. I have noticed the one holding the sprocket carrier tends to vary with age. I think mine is 30mm and the spindle is 22mm, worth checking.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

As Micky says and I forgot, an 18mm 6 point socket is needed for the sump plug! If you use a 12 point socket it's easy to round off the original brass sump plug. Also agree with the sizes of the rear wheel carrier nuts. 24mm is the front wheel spindle nut.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Just compound things my sump plug needs a 22 mm ring spanner. I think I get away with metric spanners or sockets mostly.
A good thing with regard to a tool kit on the bike is to acquire a Knipex Pliers wrench 86.03.150. Not cheap but very useful.
Another good thing is to cast about for Heyco ex-BMW spanners.
You can make a clutch nut tool when you need it by cutting a socket or cutting a piece of steel sheet.
John
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

3potjohn wrote: 01 Aug 2022 16:24 Just compound things my sump plug needs a 22 mm ring spanner. I think I get away with metric spanners or sockets mostly.
A good thing with regard to a tool kit on the bike is to acquire a Knipex Pliers wrench 86.03.150. Not cheap but very useful.
Another good thing is to cast about for Heyco ex-BMW spanners.
You can make a clutch nut tool when you need it by cutting a socket or cutting a piece of steel sheet.
John
An RAC card and a mobile phone!