Exhaust Collet 12.04.09

The 3 1/2 forum
funsize

Exhaust Collet 12.04.09

Post by funsize »

Good morning everyone and happy Father’s Day where applicable!
After a spirited tide on my 1980 Strada through the strines, Ladybower and other parts of the Peak District I felt her running slightly louder, put her away, went to kick her up the day after and saw the rear exhaust nut almost fully wound out and one half of the exhaust collet dropped onto the floor, the other half must have baled earlier! Does anyone have either half or a set as I can’t find them on Mdina or eBay etc? Any help gratefully accepted :D
morini_tom

Re: Exhaust Collet 12.04.09

Post by morini_tom »

I can’t help you with collets but be aware there there are a few different types, and depending on the exhaust headers you have fitted you may need one or other type.

Measuring the pipe diameter where the collet clamps and the diameter of the flange on the end is a good starting point.

If you search Mdina italia website for ‘half ring’ you will find various ones listed. For example: [url]https://www.mdinaitalia.co.uk/M120409S.html[\url]

Doug at Mdina is really helpful so if you can’t find what you need then drop him an email with some measurements and I’m sure he’ll do what he can to help
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Can you post a photo of the one you have? It may help in identifying the correct part.

I did have some, but think they went. I'll have a look in my stash.
funsize

Post by funsize »

Thank you as ever for the warm assistance-however I I’ve found the other half nestling where the rear brake cable and rear brake pedal meet! Now to reassembly and then getting taken out for dinner!
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Perfect! I did check and do not have a spare...

Enjoy your lunch.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Lucky man (finding it and being taken for dinner!!!)

While it’s out (if not too late!) take a few measurements so you have them incase there’s a next time.

My approach to stopping exhaust nuts coming undone is a good quality copper grease (actually I use innotec AS1500 which is wonder stuff). Do the nuts up firmly but they should thread on easily to begin with- any resistance from the outset could be cross threading or a badly fitting exhaust pipe and you’re on a hiding to nothing. They don’t need over tightening. I normally go form hand tight with a good fitting exhaust spanner and then a couple of brisk taps with a medium hammer. Then take the bike for a ride and when it’s all hot do another tightening.

With this approach I’ve never had a nut come undone but also never had difficulty undoing one.

Don’t use a screwdriver or drift to do them up as you will just mangle the nut (I have to in my 501 dart as there is zero clearance to get anything on the rear and it upsets me every time.)

As an emergency if you don’t have a correct exhaust spanner to hand you will find the flats on a 6mm Allen key are perfect to slot in one castellation and use as a lever.
funsize

Post by funsize »

Brilliant advice thank you! I’ve used copper grease and all seems good, little tide out tomorrow to check, to bloated today to bother riding 🥘🍰🍺
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

A story that ends well. To add to what Toms says:

After each ride for a few hundred miles or so whilst the engine is still hot, just gently tighten them a little more.

By the way the nut shouldn't be used to force an out of true exhaust into the right position and threads
should be cleaned of hard carbon deposits. I also use a copper based grease which seems sensible with the chrome plated brass nuts.

Mark
funsize

Post by funsize »

A belated thank Thanks 😊