charging system

The 3 1/2 forum
tigerbillsbikes

charging system

Post by tigerbillsbikes »

On the 78 Strada the charging system is not delivering the proper voltage reading to the battery. The a/c voltage measured across the two yellow wires from the stator reads very low. With the engine rpms high maybe 13 volts a/c max. Readings from each yellow wire to red is of course low. The stator windings seem to check good regarding continuity. Do the rotors loose there magnetism on Morini's? According to the shop manual this seems to be the indication. Is there a proper way to check the magnetism of the rotor? If needed, any suggestions as to who in the states provides this service?
Also, is there anything else I should check out? I know that perhaps the regulator could be bad but I would think that it would need the proper A/c voltage first. Thanks!
lemans

Re: charging system

Post by lemans »

correct way to check the generator is to disconnect both yellow wires from the voltage regulator and let the engine run.
at 3000 rpm AC-voltage should be > 60V.

if not: flywheel magnetisme or generatorwindings are bad
if yes, voltage regulator is bad

these voltage regulators have the tendency to brake down if required to charge an empty/very low voltage battery
huub

Re: charging system

Post by huub »

also running the bike with a dead battery or without a battery is possible,
nice for a emergency,
but doing so without disconnecting the generator will usually blow the regulator.