another new Sport owner 76 or 77?

The 3 1/2 forum
john107

another new Sport owner 76 or 77?

Post by john107 »

Hi all,
A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to get a '77 or 76 Sport? The importer here in Oz bought this bike, and many others, out of a private collection from the US. It has spoke rims with a single disc, 3,800+ miles on the clock, frame A/3*10529, it's in excellent condition and also has a Left Foot Gear conversion. A double Drum front brake was also thrown into the deal!

'59 Ducati Elite 200
'60 Moto Morini Tresette 175
'68 Benelli 350
'76 Morini Sport
'04 Triumph Bonneville
Steve Brown

Re: another new Sport owner 76 or 77?

Post by Steve Brown »

That's a 76 then, about 300 before my frame number. I thought mine was 77 as that's when I bought it new, but like lots of bikes it had been standing in the shop for a while. Don't put the drum brake in it though-the 76 model is meant to be the rarest or least of produced or something. Definitely a one year only model though!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
john107

Post by john107 »

Steve Brown wrote: 20 Mar 2022 22:46 That's a 76 then, about 300 before my frame number. I thought mine was 77 as that's when I bought it new, but like lots of bikes it had been standing in the shop for a while. Don't put the drum brake in it though-the 76 model is meant to be the rarest or least of produced or something. Definitely a one year only model though!
Steve,
Thanks for the confirmation on the year as it was advertised as a '77. I was considering lacing the drum to the bike but I might shelve that Idea for now, and I'm definitely going to remove the "American" style high bars and replace them with clip-ons.

cheers John
'59 Ducati Elite 200
'68 Benelli 350
'76 Morini Sport
'04 Triumph Bonneville
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi,
What a lovely original bike you have bought.
As to 'I'm definitely going to remove the "American" style high bars and replace them with clip-ons' may I suggest that you buy a rearset kit at the same time? And a Kick-start spacer too.
As standard the footrests were just bearable, whereas with rearsets it can become a true all day long bike.
Regards
George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
john107

Post by john107 »

Thanks George,

Regarding the rearsets, will any generic brand do the job or do you recommend a particular type, and is the kick-start spacer an over the counter item?

cheers John
'59 Ducati Elite 200
'68 Benelli 350
'76 Morini Sport
'04 Triumph Bonneville
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Nice bike, John!
I'm curious about why it has handlebar mounts at all, though. Sports originally had clip-ons.
Does it have the 'S' stamp on the crankcase?

Ditto on the rearsets. Mine was fitted with Tarozzis when I got it but there are others out there.
http://guzzino.com/collectibles.html

DD
MRC 3082½
tigerbillsbikes

Post by tigerbillsbikes »

Great looking Sport. I recently purchased one seven numbers before yours. Mine is also fitted without clip on bars. It seems that the
steering stem part numbers are different on a Sport than a Strada therefore you may need the stem as well as the top plate to complete
the conversion or reversion.I am not sure if this has to be done so it would be great if some more knowledgeable owners could offer some input on this subject. Like you I have considered changing my Sport back to clip ons too. I also would like to know if anyone here
has fitted rear sets from Guzzino and if so which ones they used and if they were an easy install.
Please keep us posted on your progress.Btw my Morini does have the S stamp previously mentioned.
john107

Post by john107 »

Daddy Dom wrote: 23 Mar 2022 00:56 Nice bike, John!
I'm curious about why it has handlebar mounts at all, though. Sports originally had clip-ons.
Does it have the 'S' stamp on the crankcase?

Ditto on the rearsets. Mine was fitted with Tarozzis when I got it but there are others out there.
http://guzzino.com/collectibles.html

DD
Hi DD,
My uneducated guess is the original Sport top clamp was removed and replaced with one from a Strada
Yes, the 'S' is on the crankcase, the rev counter redlines at 8500, and the steering damper is also fitted. I believe these are all characteristics of the Sport.

cheers John
'59 Ducati Elite 200
'68 Benelli 350
'76 Morini Sport
'04 Triumph Bonneville
john107

Post by john107 »

tigerbillsbikes wrote: 23 Mar 2022 01:39 Great looking Sport. I recently purchased one seven numbers before yours. Mine is also fitted without clip on bars. It seems that the
steering stem part numbers are different on a Sport than a Strada therefore you may need the stem as well as the top plate to complete
the conversion or reversion.I am not sure if this has to be done so it would be great if some more knowledgeable owners could offer some input on this subject. Like you I have considered changing my Sport back to clip ons too. I also would like to know if anyone here
has fitted rear sets from Guzzino and if so which ones they used and if they were an easy install.
Please keep us posted on your progress.Btw my Morini does have the S stamp previously mentioned.
This is my top clamp.
'59 Ducati Elite 200
'68 Benelli 350
'76 Morini Sport
'04 Triumph Bonneville
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Likely somebody preferred an easier riding position as the clip-ons and no rearsets is hard work!

So, just in case you wanted to replace that set up with the proper yoke: https://www.obsoletebikeparts.com/a-645 ... 02-420837/

My clip-ons are the Tarozzi hi-rise type, for comfort: https://motociclo.com.au/product/tarozz ... h-rise-78/
DD
MRC 3082½
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi, George again.
I'm have Tarozzi rearsets, albeit I modified mine donkeys years ago to have fold up footrests and brake tip. If you don't, then the kickstart WILL hit the brake lever and snap the brake pedal in half unless you use a kickstart displacer.
Kickstart displacers used to be sold by NLM, not sure if anyone does now (cue for another club product?) and helped the footrest/ kickstart clearance issue. Me? I ended up making my own kickstart.
As for the top yoke, the one Dom suggested is correct. Stem and lower yoke are the same on Sport and Strada if you dismiss the Paioli forked ones.

Dom may also know if the guy in kiwi-land still makes the beautiful metal badges that say 'Sport' for the top yoke.

Regards, George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Dom may also know if the guy in kiwi-land still makes the beautiful metal badges that say 'Sport' for the top yoke.
Oh yes! Malcolm's badges are things of beauty and you absolutely get what you pay for.
http://www.morinibadges.com/products.html

DD
MRC 3082½
tigerbillsbikes

Post by tigerbillsbikes »

There is so much great information here. I didn't think about the stem difference due to the fork manufacturer. I guess there is not a lot of printed information available for reference. I have a couple of parts manuals and the blue cover service manual. Morini's are such cool bikes. I presently have a 76 3 1/2 Sport and a 77 ? Strada with the electric start. Both are pretty nice examples although I am new to the marque and have not owned either one very long so I am still learning. I really appreciate all the info from this wonderful group. Thanks for allowing me to be a member!
john107

Post by john107 »

To parrot Tiger Bill, thankyou to everyone for the great information provided by the group. My wallet will become significantly lighter from your wisdom!

Dom, unfortunately their site says the top fork yoke is no longer available, however, I'll contact them to confirm. Plan 'B is to cut and grind down the handle bar brackets, then paint/polish the top fork yoke and apply one of those beautiful Sport badges from our cousins across the ditch.

In regards to the rearsets, I mentioned earlier that the bike has had a Left Foot Gear Conversion done which is a bonus for me, as I had a "little off" a few years back that resulted in my Right Ankle being fused, so to get all the linkages from under the bike up to where the rearsets are to be mounted, I'll have to think about that one.

John
'59 Ducati Elite 200
'68 Benelli 350
'76 Morini Sport
'04 Triumph Bonneville
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Dom, unfortunately their site says the top fork yoke is no longer available, however, I'll contact them to confirm. Plan 'B is to cut and grind down the handle bar brackets, then paint/polish the top fork yoke and apply one of those beautiful Sport badges from our cousins across the ditch.
Damn! That is indeed a shame, if so.
Maybe post a want-ad on the forum? Chances are somebody may reply. I've got a few parts from Tom Ros in the NL before. He seems to have an enviable stash. People also hold onto some things for future projects and end up selling them.
Good luck.
MRC 3082½