New 1974 Sport Owner

The 3 1/2 forum
springsoft

New 1974 Sport Owner

Post by springsoft »

Hi All,
I recently purchased my 3 1/2 Sport from an owner in Queensland. I’m in South Australia. I own a couple of Moto Guzzis - a Mk 2 850 Le Mans under reconstruction as a 950 cc lightened cafe bike with carbon tank and bits, flat slide carbs and an Egli Laverda sport seat, and an 1100 carb sport - as well as a 2017 MV Agusta 800 triple.
The bike arrived a week ago and I’ve been eliminating some electrical gremlins, looking for a neutral switch - apparently there isn’t one - and generally giving it the once over.
It needs to go through our local state’s authentication process - essentially a state-sponsored scam to make sure we are not all criminals, and now that the electrics are done it will get a new Conti or Bridgestone front tyre and the go on club reg.

Pretty excited to have a ride soon with my brother - on one of his Laverdas or one of his Guzzis or from a selection of MV, BMW or KTM. Should be fun.
morini_tom

Re: New 1974 Sport Owner

Post by morini_tom »

Congratulations and welcome!

Nice stable of bikes for the Morini to share there!

If you have any questions then you’ve come to the right place, this forum’s been an excellent resource and you are sure to get plenty of support and help.

Correct about the neutral switch, not for another decade or so.

The electrics are not massively complicated but also not completely conventional. There are various wiring diagrams, parts lists and workshop manuals in the club’s members area, which is available to paid up members. As a non-Uk resident you have the choice of a full membership with a printed magazine 6 times a year or a virtual membership with access to a digital copy of the magazine.

Anyway, whether you join as a paid up club member or enjoy this forum as a valued guest of ours then welcome and I’m sure you’ll fall in love with the character of that sport

Tom
springsoft

Re: New 1974 Sport Owner

Post by springsoft »

morini_tom wrote: 29 Jan 2022 09:48 Congratulations and welcome!
Thanks, Tom.
I have just been through the convoluted, archaic and trying South Australian process to confirm the bike's identity/engine numbers etc. Started at 6:30am and finally had it registered and a plate number at 4:30pm, only a lazy 10 hours. They really know how o test a person's commitment.

Bike is nice to ride, new Metzeler front on it (not shown in attached photos) and it steers very nicely. Buzzy to get off the line - reminds me of the RD350's of the day, and a lively false neutral between second and third on occasion, with neutral a little interesting to find at times.
Nevertheless, this original patina bike, which came to Oz via Japan a few years back, is already giving me big grins. I'm surprised at how quickly I have become used to the right-hand gear change. The twin leading shoe front brakes have a dull feel but stop it quite well.
IMG_0043.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg (59.27 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg (69.54 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg (260.91 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Dave