New 1978 Strada owner

The 3 1/2 forum
bueller116

New 1978 Strada owner

Post by bueller116 »

Hi all, here in Seattle, WA I am the proud new owner of this machine. I'm a younger guy, and rarely am I the first to show up with money to purchase, but this time i lucked out! And it appears i really lucked out...All original from what i can tell. 19,000 miles. Even the original foam under tank pad is there and in decent shape.

The bike was non-running when i purchased but was stored very well. With some fresh gas and a little tinkering, she fired right up. Some initial observations: 1) hard starting, but it still has original spark plugs and i'm still getting a handle on how she likes to be started, 2) the clutch engages very slowly and seems to stick- i'm thinking a thorough cleaning of the clutch will fix this (hopefully no oil leak), 3) front master cylinder is frozen open, so that'll be getting a rebuild, 4) I have the flywheel puller coming from the UK, so will change the belt and fluids and check the valve clearances shortly.

All in all, what a wonderful piece of well preserved italian engineering! Charm in spades. I'll be sure to post with any questions/updates as i recommission.

Pictures in this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5GqFGx1PjAxG2UZH9
MickeyMoto

Re: New 1978 Strada owner

Post by MickeyMoto »

That looks nice. You need to spend some time polishing the aluminium side cases!

When you say younger, here that means under 60 for Morini ownership! :)
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Welcome, and you certainly lucked in there.
As for the clutch, being a '78 it would have come with the brass clutch thrust bearing, and it is probably still in there. This made for a very grabby clutch. Get hold of the later nylon thrust bearing and shim the backlash and it should transform the clutch action.
As for polishing, only the centre section of the timing cover was polished, so that it balanced the look of the clutch side.
How old are the tyres? Avon Roadriders and Bridgestone BT46's suit Morinis really well.
Soon be spring and you will be able to get out and enjoy it.
Regards, George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Ming

Post by Ming »

Welcome. Nice bike, get the problems sorted, clean and ride - don’t worry about polish.
RedVee

Post by RedVee »

Enjoy the ride, then polish if you must :wink: :wink:
Morinis & Motorcycles - Is there anything else?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Sorry, my mistake. Ride it, get it dirty, ride it some more, thrash it, thrash it some more. Warm it up, then keep the tacho needle above 6k. Then, when it rains, clean it...

But, but, but... the generator casing could do with a gentle clean up...
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi Mick,
'Then, when it rains, clean it...'
Shouldn't that say 'Then, when it rains, sit and watch the chrome on the indicator stems and exhaust downpipes wash away' ? Well it did on my '78 sport at 1 month old!
Being serious though, you could be right with the casing - a gentle polish on the centre portion ( not the cast bits!) Would tidy up the bike nicely.
Regards, George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
bueller116

Post by bueller116 »

I'm fond of an afternoon with some polish, so in due time...

Changed the oil, so gave her a bit of throttle after warm up and the clutch is indeed slipping substantially. I also noticed a bit of oil seepage from the clutch side crankcase cover. Will get to disassembly of both sides once my flywheel puller arrives.