Battery, 350K

The 3 1/2 forum
Mark

Battery, 350K

Post by Mark »

What’s the current thinking re the best battery for the 350K, ie, turning the starter motor.
For the last 20 years I’ve used a Yuasa YB18 L or similar which has been fine although it still needs to be tip top for the starter to work.
Any ideas on anything better these days?
MickeyMoto

Re: Battery, 350K

Post by MickeyMoto »

How much do you want to spend?

I presume current in your post is intentional? Are you resistant to change?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Mick, no, I’m not resistant to change, no subliminal message was intended.
Technology moves on so I’m thinking maybe there’s a better option out there than what I was advised to use 20 years ago.
Price wise I’m open to suggestions.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

LiFePO4 are good. I have one on my modern bike. However, they are expensive but have the distinct advantage of being small and light. Not sure if the charging system of the 350 would be ideal so may need checking.

I like the Yuasa MF batteries as they are good quality and do last. One on my son's Triumph was 12 years old when it failed.

I have a Varta battery on mine now. Turns over the starter very well. Look at the CCA figure, the greater the better.

I would use a decent battery store like Tayna.co.uk they only show the non electric start 9AH batteries on their bike selector, but you can choose the battery you need.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Previously had a PC680 Odyssey which lasted at least ten years, I now use Xtreme 600, they are 2/3 the price. Use on old beemers as well. Starter motor just employed perfectly after a refuel on my so- called Lambertini tribute run of only 12 miles. Its a bit brisk today for us softies.
John
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

I have a Motobatt MB51814 on my K1. It’s an AGM battery so leak free but with excellent cold cranking capacity. You barely hear the starter turn on my K1, and the standard alternator/regulator seem to have no problem keeping it topped up.

It fills the battery space well in the k1 (read: it’s not small but it doesn’t need hammering in, and there ain’t no substitute for cubes!)

Comes with a 2 year warranty which I thought was pretty good. Cost me about £70 delivered from motorcyclepartswarehouse.co.uk

I’ll be honest I am not a fan of lithium batteries. They are the future but there are certain definite incompatibilities with our classic bikes in terms of resilience to voltage spikes and dodgy voltage regulators (both of which classic bikes are culprits of). They are also more fussy with regards state of charge and charger type when laid up for long periods.

With a lead acid battery, especially an AGM with good quality lead (like the odyssey and probably motobatt to a lesser extent), I don’t think you can go much wrong and they are much more resilient to a bit of abuse

*edit- having just checked online the motobatt seems to have gone up quite a lot since I bought mine last year, but shopping around can still be had for less than £90 (Tayna as suggested by MickeyMoto seems about the cheapest retailer currently)
Al Limite

Post by Al Limite »

Mark,
I have a 1981 electric start K with a factory original battery tray and when I had to replace my Exide 51913 GEL battery In October 2021 I also used Tayna. They are an excellent supplier with high volume sales and accordingly constantly refreshed stock. This battery is the standard size for most 1200 cc BMW models and produced by several manufacturers. I chose a Numax MB12V20P equivalent ( Varta group) for circa £50. So far very happy with my purchase.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Another vote for Tayna and Motobatt - for motorcycles. Varta Blue Dynamic for four wheelers.
Ming

Post by Ming »

I can vouch for Motobatt. Starts my K2 Sport easily (but so does kick). I also have one on a BMW R850R, which need lots of CCA!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Given I’m in France and have been seriously stung on imports from the UK since Brexit (£27 speedo drive from Mdina cost €83 by the time it got here) I’ve got to buy in the EU but have sourced a Motobatt as described by Tom despite them not being so commonly available here.
Thanks for all the advice.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I cant believe that good prices on batteries and a good range are not available in Germany, for instance.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yes, Germany and Italy are good sources, just a shame that so many good places I’ve bought from in the UK are now financially unviable.
I assume others in the EU are experiencing the same problems, or maybe these extremely high taxes are only being levied by France?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

VAT and then customs clearance plus carriage. 27 plus 20% plus a tenner plus another tenner for the speedo drive. €60? Somebody profiteering somewhere!

Mind you, carriage costs from Italy have been eye watering for a few years.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

It all sounds like an Arthur Daley scam to me.
John