Separating crankcases

The 3 1/2 forum
EVguru

Re: Separating crankcases

Post by EVguru »

That frame number would be somewhere roughly around the bearing type change.

The letter denoting what type of bike the engine was going into is here; Image
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

I have 10197 (1976) deep groove ball bearing on timing side, it does not have the blanked screws.
So I agree with Paul, yours is around the transition to plain bearing, case moulds had been updated but older cranks being used up.
I have 14123 and 14624 1977/1978, these have the plain bearing and a different boss for the neutral switch
The neutral light was wasn't fitted to 350s at this time,
but was fitted to 500s which shared the common base crankcases with W marked
Anyway a great many Morinis were assembled from available parts and "transition" models are common.
Mark
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

My 3 1/2 is an Australian delivered bike with an Australian compliance plate. I'm the 2nd owner. I met the original owner, who confirmed the bike had not been altered. His only comment was "It was always a pig to start!". Funnily enough, the brake light was only connected to the rear brake, which is not permitted by the Australian Design Rules (ADR's) that came into effect on 01 July 1975! I don't know how the importers got away with that one!

It's nice to see that even Morini experts can see something they haven't seen before.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Funnily enough, the brake light was only connected to the rear brake, which is not permitted by the Australian Design Rules (ADR's) that came into effect on 01 July 1975! I don't know how the importers got away with that one!
Morinis were in that era often non-compliant with local regulations. In the UK construction and Use regulations required indicator repeater light which was fitted to some models from the 80s, but not the 250-2C, I am still bitter about being failed an MOT inspection for this more than 10 years ago, as its the only Morini MOT fail I have ever had.

Its nice to see these intermediate/transition details as it helps the club with dating certificates which are required to register imported bikes.
Cheers
Mark
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

I have never had winkers on any of my motorcycles that were built before the cut off date in the mid eighties. I did have to point out to an over zealous mechanic that the bike was made in 1984 and in the end he had to get the MOT bible out. Why have winkers when you have got arms?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

harrymuffin wrote: 21 Sep 2021 17:41 Why have winkers when you have got arms?
Er, how do I indicate to my fellow travellers that I want to overtake on the motorway? Put my arm out, throttle closes, get rammed up arse.

No thanks. Maybe we should all contract diphtheria, whooping cough and TB for the authentic 1950s vibe! :)
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

My crankcase separating tool arrived.

The M6 threaded rods are mild steel, so they bend, and the threads stripped when torque was applied. I have ordered some stainless steel M6 rod.

In the meantime, I removed the oil seal to get a better look. It looks like I have a really tight inner race. Any suggestions how I should tackle this?

This engine strip has been kicking my butt every step of the way...
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

Is yours like mine with the ball/roller bearing main on the flywheel side? If so it sounds like that inner race may be tight on the crank axle. Heating the case won't help as the bearing is retained by a plate inside.
Is this correct? Pictures I have seen show no retainer on the flywheel side...
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Heat up the case around the bearing to about 120C.

The case should then slide off the bearing with little effort.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

70sbikes wrote: 28 Sep 2021 14:52
Is yours like mine with the ball/roller bearing main on the flywheel side? If so it sounds like that inner race may be tight on the crank axle. Heating the case won't help as the bearing is retained by a plate inside.
Is this correct? Pictures I have seen show no retainer on the flywheel side...
It's just me talking without checking again. My memory told me that bearing was retained by screws and washers like most of the others in there. As Paul says later, heat should do the trick especially in conjunction with a puller that pulls it apart squarely.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Micky Moto.
Only 'Bikers' travel on motorways, motorcyclists travel on roads that require intelligence, experience and skill. Even so, if on a motorway you should be going faster that the county lines delivery driver and your intensions should be indicative of your positioning and speed on the road.
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

PS. What if you have an Vee twin JAP engined OEC with acetylene lighting, stop and light a lamp?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

harrymuffin wrote: 28 Sep 2021 17:00 Micky Moto.
Only 'Bikers' travel on motorways, motorcyclists travel on roads that require intelligence, experience and skill. Even so, if on a motorway you should be going faster that the county lines delivery driver and your intensions should be indicative of your positioning and speed on the road.
Quite right. I know I'm thick, I have to be to put up with the inane cobblers you spout ...
Last edited by MickeyMoto on 06 Oct 2021 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Al B

Post by Al B »

In a Joyce Grenfell style...

Now now children, this is a family forum