Think I'm going to admit defeat.........

The 3 1/2 forum
AndyB57

Think I'm going to admit defeat.........

Post by AndyB57 »

After spending the last few months trying to get my Strada to start and run consistently I'm getting to the point where a) it's not fun fettling anymore, and b) I've realised I just don't have the engineering talent to work out what to do when I don't get the results the blue book, Youtube, etc say I should! Maybe it's time to say enough is enough and enjoy riding my other bikes instead :(

I fitted the Sachse ignition earlier this year, have tried various coils to get the best spark, checked the wiring umpteen times, even had an engineer friend come and check the work I had done on ignition, timing and valve clearances, etc, in case I had made a stupid mistake somewhere along the line. I put carbs back to standard jets, fitted new chokes, and this weekend rechecked the float height. Yesterday she started easily several times and ran smoothly for the first time in a while. Right I thought, should be dry tomorrow, seat back on, check the tyres and get her out for a bit of a run first thing.

This morning she won't start.................. Don't be surprised to see a 'for sale' ad shortly!!!
MickeyMoto

Re: Think I'm going to admit defeat.........

Post by MickeyMoto »

Tried changing plugs, caps and leads?

Be interesting to see if the plugs are wet.

Did you change the needle valves?
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

I changed plugs, leads and caps. The needles look good, barely worn, have tried various heights.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi,

I think Mike means the needle valves that control the flow of petrol into the carburettor float bowl
So may be he is thinking that you started and ran it one day and then left it, but now there is no fuel.
I have had these needle valves jam up with goo, which being yellow/brown is hard to see against the brass

Its always a good practice to check every earth and especially how well the ignition system and engine are earthed.

Hope you don't give up. Perhaps the Devon section could venture over the Tamar to help?
Mark
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Hmmm though I replied but maybe forgot to submit. Was up in Bude earlier so perhaps could have looked in if I had known. If it started OK but now not are you certain there is sufficient fuel in the floatbowls? It can be worth removing the plugs, squirting a bit of carb cleaner in ,then replacing the plugs and see if it fires up , even briefly.
Is there still a definite spark? And the chokes definitely working and the slides are not hanging right up . Also if you pull the green wire off the back of the ignition switch it still will not start? Can it be bumped down a hill? Happy to help if can but not this weekend unfortunately.
Mark- what is this Tamar of which ye speak?
John
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Don't give up now, you're 99% there.

Help will arrive forthwith!
MRC 3082½
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

mbmm350s wrote: 17 Aug 2021 15:59 Hi,

I think Mike means the needle valves that control the flow of petrol into the carburettor float bowl
So may be he is thinking that you started and ran it one day and then left it, but now there is no fuel.
I have had these needle valves jam up with goo, which being yellow/brown is hard to see against the brass

Its always a good practice to check every earth and especially how well the ignition system and engine are earthed.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've cleaned the carb and needles a few times, just in case. I check there is fuel in the bowl by loosening the bolt slightly - and then retightening of course!
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

3potjohn wrote: 17 Aug 2021 19:19
Is there still a definite spark? And the chokes definitely working and the slides are not hanging right up . Also if you pull the green wire off the back of the ignition switch it still will not start? Can it be bumped down a hill? Happy to help if can but not this weekend unfortunately.
Mark- what is this Tamar of which ye speak?
John
Thanks John. Definitely decent sparks when using the Sachse test mode and turning over in normal modes.

Les was kindly going to drop in pre lockdown (remember that??) but plans were scuppered by Covid.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Did the problem appear after fitting the Sachse? Could you refit the original system to check if that improves the situation?
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

Thanks for all the thoughts and tips, will take a break for a few days then dive back in......
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Perhaps next week I can nip up if a day or time suits. Weather reputed to be less like Autumn. Not saying I am an expert ( ex as in has-been, spurt as in drip under pressure) but maybe something will show itself.
Let me know either way, but happy to help.
John
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I will pm you re this
Cheers John
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

Thanks for dropping in guys! Good to meet you and much appreciated.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Yes good to meet up.The weather was perfect.Not so back home. Still we did not make any progress.Was looking up postings on various other club sites with ? Faulty ignition. It would be good if you could try a known working unit. After all it did run fir a few moments,
John
AndyB57

Post by AndyB57 »

Eureka - maybe....

After 3potjohn's carb fettling earlier this week I decided to work through the 9 options on the Sachse ignition unit again yesterday evening. Fortunately I went through them in reverse order because it fired on no.8, ran smoothly and as importantly restarted. This morning it started on the 3rd kick and restarts easily.

I now need to sort out the tight cables (thanks for pointing that out as well guys) - and go for a ride to give the engine a chance to breathe.