Running issues

The 3 1/2 forum
Bruce3500

Running issues

Post by Bruce3500 »

Hi All, I thought i would post this after reading the forum on carb / ignition issues.
Like most i have had carb issues for a long time on my sport, so i decided to start all over again,
-checked ignition system (full NLM set up) all electrical connections, H.T leads and caps, rotor air gaps, new spark plugs NGK BP7ES,
-checked and adjusted valve clearances (i have noticed some wear in rocker shaft bushes- job for later date),
-removed strip and clean carbs again (all jets, needle, needle valve were new, check float height), All jetting as per manual except
fitting 46 idle jet, I have also found wear in carb body/ slides, so i have taken the plunge and fitted new slides. Intake rubbers good,
refitted carbs with new fuel hoses. Wash out fuel tank and cleaned manual taps.
-Bike started and run up to temperature, carbs balanced and it now idles far better than it ever has, only fault found was the clutch
dragging when put into gear, so stripped and cleaned clutch plates, reassembled, also found clutch inner cable too long as lever
adjuster had to be nearly all the way out, so had to shorten cable by approx, 7mm ( guess where it was from V-----L),
- Any way taken for Mot today in the rain 6-mile round trip and rides a lot better, so need to get some miles in on it this week for
Cadwell.
-So to all sometimes it pays to walk away and start with a fresh mindset on another day and have a methodical approach,
Safe riding Bruce.
julianharty

Re: Running issues

Post by julianharty »

Bruce, thanks for the update on the fettling you've done. I look forward to meeting you next week at Cadwell. Not sure which bike I'll be on, either the 501 engined K frame bike I've used at Cadwell in years past or the 400 cc sport which I've finally ordered a new set of BT46 tyres and tubes for. I've been working on the carbs for this bike, it's got very worn slides however I've a relatively unscathed set in a spare set of the newer carbs which have the balance pipe fittings and plastic tops. The ignition is Sachse, and the exhaust currently fitted is a battered and rewelded RMS 2-1. However I'm not sure if it'd pass the noise test so I might swap it for something else...

PS: Be great to catch up on your 501/500 project too.
Bruce3500

Post by Bruce3500 »

Hi Julian,
Looking forward to it, hopefully it will stay dry as its a bit of a trek from Eastbourne as i am riding up,
see you at Cadwell
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Bruce, if you're riding up that morning your bike should be fully warmed up. I've booked a nearby hotel and will ride up the evening before.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi Julian,

Where are you staying? Be nice if MRC members could meet up for a coca cola before or after the event. The 'nearly' tales are usually the best and the 'I overtook an RG500 on the straight' even better.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Mike,
as requested I will be staying at the:

Best Western Kenwick Park Hotel
Kenwick Park Estate
Louth, England LN11 8NR

FYI I booked online and I'm paying £64.99 for the night's stay which includes breakfast.

I can see about popping over to the three horseshoes for a catch up unless you've other suggestions on where to meet. That'd be on Tuesday evening.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I'm cstaying in a pub near the circuit!

Maybe meeting at the Three Horseshoes is the best bet. I think there may be a sporting fixture ongoing tomorrow, too!