Steering lock

The 3 1/2 forum
Syko

Steering lock

Post by Syko »

My 3 1/2 S came minus a steering lock key when I got it. Anyone have any pointers as to my best course of action?, I'd prefer to keep it as original as possible.. thanks :)
MickeyMoto

Re: Steering lock

Post by MickeyMoto »

Drill out the old one and replace with a new one. The locks are still available.
davel182

Post by davel182 »

I had a locksmith pick mine and then make a key which ended up costing more than a new one. Not really very secure anyway.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

With a bit of fiddling and finesse it's possible to use lock picking tools to remove the current steering lock (I've done so with an inexpensive lockpicking kit from Amazon). MikeyMoto's approach also works well enough and I've used it previously - the locks aren't hard to drill out either.

Then you'll be able to buy and fit a replacement lock. I bought mine online and it was probably advertised for the old (1980's era) BMW twins. They're relatively easy to find provided you know the measurements (and as you'll hopefully manage to remove the current one you can use that for the measurements).

I agree the locks aren't very secure or robust, I did mine as a sop - so a thief would need to consciously pick or break it if they wanted to steal the bike. I don't rely on it to keep the bike safe.