350K2 Starter Motor Chain Tension

The 3 1/2 forum
LeMansMk2

350K2 Starter Motor Chain Tension

Post by LeMansMk2 »

When checking out the starter setup, found that the chain had quite a bit of slack. The adjustment will take up all of the slack, but I can't find a figure for what's recommended. I'm referring to the 'bottom' of the chain run. Also the 'filler plug' was missing. A 6mm grommet looks like it might do instead.
Daddy Dom

Re: 350K2 Starter Motor Chain Tension

Post by Daddy Dom »

I have just done this job but can't remember doing anything to the tension, I guess it must have looked okay. Have you moved the starter-motor as much as it will go on its adjusting cam thing?

After filling the oil up to the hole, I was off without a bung. Mine was the wrong size. It dripped a bit on the sidestand but has been fine since.
MRC 3082½
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

On my K1 the chain seemed to have stretched and was beginning to nibble the casting. I replaced it but this was so long ago I cannot remember the spec. Must be straightforward though. I do find that if the motor is pushed as far over as it can go I have trouble tightening the long casing screw. The so called bung didn’t really seal so had to use a similar shaped grommet. I have used a smear of threebond on on it in an attempt to improve things. There was also a long term drip which was from the smaller of the starter gearbox seals. Also after replacing everything as like as not the clutch mech needs a jiggle to align it otherwise it seems to bind.
At least I don’t have to worry about sprag clutches on this iteration.And that’s another story......
John
LeMansMk2

Post by LeMansMk2 »

Thanks for the replies. There was some evidence of the casting being nibbled. I'll just adjust it up a bit to reduce the slack, but not enough to prematurely wear out the bearings.
Attachments
P1000187.jpg
P1000187.jpg (367.81 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

It would be good to know what grommets you're all using as Mdina only had the old, wrong ones from NLM available. (Mushroom shaped.)
Cheers,
DD
MRC 3082½
LeMansMk2

Post by LeMansMk2 »

A 6mm grommet seems a good enough fit.