350 Carburettors Advice Required

The 3 1/2 forum
paul

350 Carburettors Advice Required

Post by paul »

I am hoping somebody can help me with a problem with my 1980 350 Strada.
Over the past 18 months my bike has been difficult to start. So I've spent money and time trying to improve the situation, but seem to have made matters worse.

1) Re-wind and remagnatisation by NLM
2) Carb kit from NLM with the various gaskets, O Rings etc
3) New throttle cables.

I've reset the tappets, and stripped the carbs and blown them out with my compressor, but now the bike will not even make an attempt at starting.

I have a spark at the plugs
I have spent along time turning it over with the electric start, when I take the plugs out they are dry, I expect them to be wet.

I am at a loss to understand why fuel which is definatley getting into the carbs is not getting into either of the cylinders
hendre

Post by hendre »

have you checked your floater levels? I'm pretty sure you have but maybe you might check them again. While got the bowls open check is gas is indeed running into the carbs throught the needle valve by opening the fuel tap.
paul

Post by paul »

No I did not think to check the float levels, but I will check them this week end, thanks
jotapip

Post by jotapip »

Hi paul
I had a similar problem with my sport a few years back,if you have a good spark and the plugs are dry after turning the engine over,then petrol is not getting thru the carbs ,are you absolutely certain that fuel is getting to the carbs,my problem was a blocked breather hole in the top of the filler cap ,creating a vacuum,i thought fuel was getting thru but it was'nt....worth a check.

Phil.
paul

Post by paul »

Thanks for that, its something else that I will be checking, but would never have thought to look at it.
paul

Post by paul »

Hi Guys
Spent some time at the weekend going over the carbs, did check the floats but they were ok.
Tried starting it with the fuel cap open but it was not having it, then I decided to put it at the back of the garage again, after I tidied up my tools thought I'd give it one more go and I was shocked to find that it suddenly started.
I turned it off quick as it was reving far too high and there was an awful rattling sound coming from the stator side of the engine.
At least there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
Once again thanks for the help.
morinisport

Post by morinisport »

Have you checked the slide heights - perhaps the screw stops are screwed too far in or the throttle cables are not allowing the slide to drop right down?
paul

Post by paul »

I did screw the srew stops right in because I got so fed (being polite here) up with it not starting and petrol not getting to the plugs I went to extremes.
I was frustrated at spending several hundred pounds on it to suddenly find that it had got significantly worse as it did start before I started messing. Left the bike alone last weekend so that I could get some patience back with it.
Thanks for the tip I will unscrew the stops.
I guess they should be about about half way in or out if you get what I mean before I start balancing the carbs, if it will start again.
3narf

Post by 3narf »

It can all be very frustrating.

I can't believe how long mine has been off the road and how difficult it's proving to be to get it running properly again.

When I was commuting on it, using it day in, day out in all weathers plus riding it just for fun, it never went wrong, not ever. From '94 (when I bought it- I was the second owner) 'til '04 when I rode it last (at Cadwell) it never broke down, not once, in maybe 25- 30k miles.
paul

Post by paul »

The trouble with my frustration, is that I am 59 and time is running out to ride the bike before I get too old.

It was off the road for a long time due to buying houses and bringing up a family, I did not have the spare cash to spend on it.
I've now spent another £63 on it and brought a timing belt lower drive pulley, belt guide washers and woodruff keys.

The lower pulley could be rocked left and right alot with the belt off and one of the belt guides was so badly worn it had made 2 separate washers.

Once I have replaced these I'm going to reset the tappets to see if that makes any difference.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Too old! Never! Stick with these lightweight bikes.
But this excuse is also all I need to get out on the bike at every opportunity, that and the impending lack of fuel.
robint

59 as well....

Post by robint »

Probably the average age of Morini owners :D - spent the last 15 years trying to get the carbs to balance. :( ......now semi retired :D so should make some time available to do it properly!!
robint
(Morini, Enfield, Deauville, SLK and home to support)
Derek Wright

Age and M.orinis

Post by Derek Wright »

Perhaps age helps in the appreciation of Morinis.
Got my first Morini at 58 2 years ago,an '83 X Kanguro and love it.
First fancied a 3 1/2 in the mid 70's when I sat on one at a small dealers in Seaton Deleval, Northumberland.Not long married and with the second child on the way, there was no way I could afford a new bike so stuck to my Brits.
So 30 odd years on and in the Midlands for 20 years or so,fancied a Morini again, don't no why 'cos you never see many on the road and I'd never ridden one.
After 2 years, picked up another Kanguro, a 1989 X3 version,August this year, fantastic value for what I paid for them, both on the road and they both run really well.The only complaint with the X was the small tank, but thats well sorted withe 4.8 gal tank on the X3.
Suppose the kanguro looks are a bit of an aquired taste but they are great to ride on A & B roads which I encounter on my daily 72 mile commute.
Bit frightened to try a Strada or a Sport incase they are better and start me hankering for one of those to.
Have used the X a lot since I got it, just topped 10,000 mls., had a gearbox bearing go last year which was a bit disapointing.Have never touched the carbs but had a couple of timing issues on the rebuild but once sorted, starts first or second kick most times, even on these last few cold mornings.
The X3 runs equally well but charging problems ( see my post in the off road section) has restricted it use lately as the dark mornings and evenings have crept in.
My other bikes, Brits and a BMW have taken a back seat as I now prefer riding the Morinis more than anything else, I have even found myself thinking as to why I need the other bikes.This is strange as I have had most of them for between 20-35 years and never thought of reducing my stable before.
Will keep both bikes on the road over the winter but will have to take to the car soon for my commute as its a bit less enjoyable on the wet dark mornings and evenings with blazing headlights and shortsighted car drivers for ever pulling out of side roads if they see the smallest gap even though the roads I use are not that busy.