K2 charging issue

The 3 1/2 forum
Brickboy

K2 charging issue

Post by Brickboy »

I'm only getting 13.2v or so - so a gentle charge and that with no lights on.

With lights on, I seem to end up with about 13v but a few miles of lights on lane riding equals no electric start.

I'm a bit unsure where to begin. No charging at all seems easier to diagnose!!
Steve Brown

Re: K2 charging issue

Post by Steve Brown »

Low level of flywheel magnetism maybe? Or if a few coils are breaking down perhaps? Have you tried measuring the output from the two yellow wires? One way is to connect a headlamp bulb across them. There is info here and in the blue book about checking the output.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Brickboy

Post by Brickboy »

Thanks for that. Testing begins this weekend!!
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Hi,

A more useful test than simple voltage check is to perform the load balance test as per the manual page 102
A suitable ammeter of 20A range should be put in series with the battery.
With all the lights on, note the engine rpm where there is no current into or out of the battery.
This is where the generator can just supply the load.
This will also tell you if you have a significant current draw when the lights are off.
There should be no signficant draw < 1A

For the K2 this load balance should be at fast idle, ideally no more than 2200 rpm,
assuming standard Ducati regulator. The table on page 109 gives the data. refer to second series 350 6 pole.
Typically for the three wire systems, load balance will only occur at a much higher rpm of well over 3000 rpm
if one half of the winding is broken. If the continuity Y to Y is checked and good,
then rotor magnetism could be weak, the regulator faulty or a battery fault, or a wiring fault (check earths and fuses)
Charging at 14V minimum should be confirmed at about 2500rpm (no load)

Hope all that make sense
Mark
Brickboy

Post by Brickboy »

Mark,

Thanks very much - that is very clear and I know what to look for and how.

I'll report the findings back 🙂

Cheers Simon
Brickboy

Post by Brickboy »

Hmm, so far some curious results: charging goes from 12.5v at tickover to 14.5v at about 4500rpm on full beam. I'm not totally convinced that this is consistent either as I'm sure the meter flashed momentarily up to 14.5v at lower revs on one occasion.

So, it looks like the next thing to do is to examine connections very carefully to see if there's an intermittent poor one. Time for some cleaning of them all as a next step.

The good news, I assume, is that the volts are there, just not getting through fully. I haven't done the ammeter check yet. That's for this weekend.

It's a fun learning curve though 🙂

Simon
Brickboy

Re: K2 charging issue SORTED

Post by Brickboy »

Always check the battery, eh?!

A new battery and everything is exactly as it should be 🙂