Handlebars

The 3 1/2 forum
jb666

Handlebars

Post by jb666 »

Evening all,
Here's a query for your opinion and experience - and something that may be as contentious as which oil should I use!!

When I first got my Strada (1983) one of the first things I did was to fit rearsets and inverted drop bars. For me at 6'1" it gave a very comfortable position. Now a substantial number of years later I am refreshing it and have found that one of the drops is bent (I had a car/bike interface moment in the early 90's!) and both need rechroming.

So the question is do I try and find another drop (or pair), cough up lots of money and get some Verlicchi Jota type bars, put on a 'normal' Strada type bar on the top mounts or a different profile bar (no, not apehangers!!)? I ask as I am not quite the flexible youth I once was!!

Your thoughts, comments and sarcasm thoroughly sought!

John.
Steve Brown

Re: Handlebars

Post by Steve Brown »

Maybe a pair of touring bars from another make/model? I always found the original Strada bars to have an odd bend that placed my hands in a less comfy position. It's all a matter of personal preference of course!
I like the original Sport clip ons but don't think there is much available to replicate them?
I never liked the Laverda adjustable types but lots of people love them.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

With nothing to lose why not have a go at getting the bar bent back to straight?

Or is the bent bar just an excuse for some Excalibur bars?
Ming

Post by Ming »

I have a spare pair of BMW bars (1970s) of a similar profile to Strada bars, but an inch or so shorter each side. They are currently on a 250, where they look fine. The 250, adjustable, bars also had an 'interface moment' at some point in a previous existence.
There are quite a few 'bar styles available via an online oriental emporium...
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Ming wrote:I have a spare pair of BMW bars (1970s) of a similar profile to Strada bars, but an inch or so shorter each side. They are currently on a 250, where they look fine. The 250, adjustable, bars also had an 'interface moment' at some point in a previous existence.
There are quite a few 'bar styles available via an online oriental emporium...
I love the 250 adjustable bars - though they don't adjust much to be fair. I was lucky enough to be able to buy a new pair years ago after an interface with tarmac moment. Possibly at a Cadwell day. Possibly when I was speed hill climbing it in the road legal championship. I misremember.

I put 'Vincent straights' with risers on the Forgotten Error, which worked quite well (for me at least).