strada brake calipers

The 3 1/2 forum
andyp

strada brake calipers

Post by andyp »

seem to remember reading somewhere that fitting a brake caliper from a 250 would be an improvement to the existing one. bike is a 78 350 strada. could anybody clarify please, cheers, Andy.
hi, just bought a morini 78 3 1/2 strada basket case so hopefully will be talking to you boys for tips, guidance, help...............
buzby

Post by buzby »

I thinkyou mean a brake master cylinder for a 250.I have fitted one myself and well worth doing but a bit pricy at about £50

Dave.
andyp

Post by andyp »

thanks dave, dont know if you saw my first post but i bought a project back in march, starting to get things back from powder coaters, platers, new bearings etc, etc. thinking about putting it all back together so any suggestions reccomendations re improvements, upgrades, modifications to the originall 78 strada, electrial or mechanical would be appreciated, cheers, Andy.
hi, just bought a morini 78 3 1/2 strada basket case so hopefully will be talking to you boys for tips, guidance, help...............
3narf

Post by 3narf »

The caliper is the same as the 3 1/2, but the master cylinder is I think 12mm as opposed to the 350's 16mm one, giving more mechanical advantage...

You could pick up a Brembo one off a Guzzi V50 (same bore size) for £not much; bear in mind, though, that sometimes 2nd hand ones can be difficult to bleed and may need the seals replacing.

A
3narf

Post by 3narf »

Re the modifications; you probably don't want to do too much as Stradas are lovely well-balanced bikes already. Phil Smith always used to say the Strada was the pick of the bunch, the purest form of the modular v-twin.

If you want to save a bit of weight you could convert the drive to a 520 chain and dart front sprocket; Sprockets Unlimited can make you a 520 rear and you might like to go for a 40-tooth while you are at it (they won't do max revs in top otherwise).

Other than that, not much other than keeping it in good nick and using it regularly!

A
andyp

Post by andyp »

thanks for that, pretty much sorted as far as the rebuild goes now, been waiting weeks for a 110/90,18 avon roadrider, as soon as i get that i can build it up to a rolling chassis then hopefully start posting a few photos on the forum. Cheers , Andy.
buzby

Post by buzby »

Two more easy upgrades which I have fitted recently are progressive front fork springs from Hagon or NLM -my box is marked for a Yamaha XV535! and a battery status monitor from Paul Goff.
cheers ,Dave.
andyp

Post by andyp »

thanks dave, thought about progressive fork springs and still undecided, do they make a significant difference ?
buzby

Post by buzby »

Andy, I have a Strada and a Sport so any mods I do it is it is fairly obvious if there is any improvement. With the standard setup the forks transmit every bump or hole in the road to the rider .In my opinion the progressive fork springs are a big improvement ,
cheers. Dave.
andyp

Post by andyp »

ok, looks like another phonecall to his robship at nlm, what dyou reckon £60/70 ish ?
buzby

Post by buzby »

My receipt from last year was £53 + VAT + P&P - club discount so the answers yes! As they were supplied by Hagon ,it might be cheaper from them,
Dave.
andyp

Post by andyp »

hello dave, just aquick one re progressive fork springs, got a pair from nlm and started to rebuild forks today got them back together and it seemed as though a spacer was required, just thought i'd make contact again to confirm that the springs go in with no guide or spacers. Cheers, Andy.
buzby

Post by buzby »

Hi Andy,
no spacers fitted on my forks now or guides and I think 10 weight oil works best for me ,
cheers Dave.