FRONT BRAKE Update

The 3 1/2 forum
vincent3664

FRONT BRAKE Update

Post by vincent3664 »

Well here is my update on trying to get what I consider to be an acceptable front brake ( ie up to modern standards) on a 41 year old Morini !
So thanks to everyone for their advice from my earlier post and heres what I have done;

1. Fitted EBC Sintered pads, a noticeable improvement,
2. Fitted a braided brake hose, small improvement,
3. Fitted a super dooper aftermarket disc which looks the business but offers a very small improvement in braking performance and is not worth the money spent
4. Fitted a Nissin brake master cylinder from a Honda CBF 125 (yes really ) and what a transformation with far better feel and braking power than the standard Grimecca caliper fitted to my single disc 1979 Morini 350 Strada, I got the master cylinder for £20 from ebay, and when fitted it does not look out of place on the bike and it also has a dogleg lever which is ideal for my little hands,a brake light switch ( which my Grimecca caliper did not have ) and a mounting for a mirror.
Im really pleased with the modifications and feel my little 350 Strada now stops in half the distance it did before i started and if I hadnt wasted the money on the disc I could have done the whole job for less than £100

Have fun and ride safe
Nick Vincent
Ming

Re: FRONT BRAKE Update

Post by Ming »

If the Nissin M/C has a smaller diameter piston than the Grimeca, you look to have stumbled on a known method of improvement. Quite a few have changed the master cylinders in a similar way - I have used a Kanguro M/C on my Strada and I think a Suzuki GN125's has also been used. It's been mentioned several times on the forum, if I recall correctly.
vincent3664

Post by vincent3664 »

Yes,the Honda CBF 125 has a smaller piston in the master cylinder. After hearing of the benefits the other members said they had with their brakes after changing the master cylinder i fitted it. So I would say I was steered in the right direction .......thanks Guys
robint

Post by robint »

Also went the Ebay less than £15 delivered from China route for a new lever set up on mine - as others have said it transforms the braking - feel, power, mirror mount and a brake light switch........ and bolts straight on without problem. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-8-Right-Br ... 2749.l2649)

Also survives the bike falling on to it after a comedy falling off moment after cramp in my right leg - small mark on end of lever but no other damage.

Just to reinforce the point of a different master cylinder the Brembo technical director when interviewed by Mcycle Sport and Leisure and asked about improving the brakes on a bike - "the master cylinder will bring about the biggest improvement in performance in relation to the economical investment""

Still working on the headlight though, trying to get an upgrade with LED........LED bulbs being a waste of time, so looking at the assorted complete LED light units at the £20-30 mark - hopefully a similar improvement will be found!!
robint
(Morini, Enfield, Deauville, SLK and home to support)
Ming

Post by Ming »

robint wrote:...Still working on the headlight though, trying to get an upgrade with LED........LED bulbs being a waste of time, so looking at the assorted complete LED light units at the £20-30 mark - hopefully a similar improvement will be found!!
I pretty much agree on the LED comment. I've found that although most current LED 'headlights' are really good for visibility (of you to other road users), they are not very good at illuminating the road ahead. Another slight annoyance is that the main beam indicator glows feebly on dip beam.

I agree about the use of Chinese made items like the m/c unit, most stuff I've bought made there has been perfectly fit for purpose (if not well translated...).
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I believe it is illegal to fit an LED headlight bulb replacement. The reflector is not designed for the light and it will cause a nuisance. The whole headlight should be changed.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Just a comment on LED headlamp bulbs after a great deal of experimentation. It's vital to get those that duplicate the configuration of the original filament types, rather than go for those that offer '360 degree' illumination. Avoid the fat quadruple COB units like the plague because they only provide a brighter light rather than a proper beam. You need those with emitters mounted on the thinnest-possible substrate, and don't expect LED bulbs without a dedicated cooling system to be any use at all. The most recent types, such as this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUXITO-H4-H7 ... 2749.l2649

also offer the ability to continually-twist the LED unit within the mount so that you can achieve the best beam configuration. Just make sure you have the LED emitters at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, with the shielded ones for the dip beam' firing' upwards. As above, Auxito are the brand I like most.

I've re-engineered several mounts on older bikes that don't make use of H4, and fitted LED cores to them with great success. At least with those you don't have to allow for CANBUS compatibility as with modern vehicles!

Do persist with LEDs, because to my mind they are about the most valuable enhancement to safety in riding because they catch the eye of other traffic infinitely better than candle-power filament bulbs and, of course, they consume less current and last much longer! HID bulbs are now completely superceded (I fitted and replaced many of them) because their reliability crashed in line with their cheapness over the years.

Ride safe: be seen!

Nick
Last edited by nickst4 on 31 Aug 2020 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Sorry, MickeyMoto snuck in while I was typing! Having asked my MOT man about the legality of LED bulbs, he says there is no actual embargo on their use in earlier optics. Obviously, the better the LED bulb, the closer it will resemble the beam pattern expected, which will be checked at MOT. It would be a very insensitive MOT inspector who banned such a valuable asset to biker-safety!

Nick
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

My safety does not depend on a headlight. A headlight is for seeing and be seen when light conditions are not favourable. It is not ok to dazzle oncoming vehicles like a GS rider with LED spot lights. Just waiting for the first accident caused by a dazzled driver hitting the bike head on.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/ ... in-the-uk/

If you have an accident and the bulb is not E1 or BS approved you may find your insurance company fails to pay out.

If I was to fit an LED headlight I would ensure it had approvals, but that is just me. Do whatever you wish, but don't blind me! :) Oh, and beware fake Chinese products...
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

[quote="MickeyMoto"]My safety does not depend on a headlight. A headlight is for seeing and be seen when light conditions are not favourable. It is not ok to dazzle oncoming vehicles like a GS rider with LED spot lights. Just waiting for the first accident caused by a dazzled driver hitting the bike head on.
/quote]

I quite agree about GS riders and their extra spotlights. The same comment applies to those bikers who run with their main-beams on, but you won't get them to admit that they are being anti-social and making it impossible for other road users to judge their position and velocity. Whether I'm on two wheels or four, that really annoys me!

I didn't think it was necessary to point out that the first prerequisite of rider safety was cautious and risk-reduced riding, but the fact remains that a properly-aligned LED (or HID) headlight is noticeable from hundreds of yards further away than halogen, without any dazzle at all, purely because of the light temperature. I want other road users to have warning of my presence at the earliest-possible opportunity, rather than hear the "I didn't see you mate" excuse.

Personally, I'll refer to my accredited MOT tester as regards the legality of aftermarket bulbs, rather than rely on a scare-story that did the rounds a few years ago but apparently never made it into the MOT manual. I only offer my comments because too many people make uninformed choices of alternative lighting systems without understanding the fundamentals of optics, dismiss them and thereby throw the baby out with the bath-water!

Each to his or her own, of course.

Nick
JonD

Post by JonD »

For an informed view of the legality or not lighting systems try reading the Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 which are still the basis of vehicle lighting systems. Later amendments cover new technologies to allow for instance LED headlights on new vehicles. The requirements are quite specific for older vehicles and are based on engine size and the required wattage of the bulb. No reference to type of bulb as most bulbs were either traditional filament bulbs or halogen bulbs back then.
benshannon

Post by benshannon »

Interesting info on the upgrades. It's funny really, I've never thought my morini has had bad brakes and my disc is scored to hell.. Mind you, my Vincent has drum brakes so I guess the morini is an upgrade in terms of braking
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Try a BMW with ATE brakes! The Morini is a brilliant stopper.

I find the pads help. The ones NLM supplied were always good. Not sure what they were.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Mike
NLM used to supply Newfren(ITALY) disk pads

This one I think but everyone should check carefully it's correct for them and their model year etc...
https://www.newfren.com/en/Products/Bra ... d0028.html

Though more recently I was sent Bendix organic? pads
Mark
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Yes, they had green in the name somewhere. I did find they wore quite quickly...

I have Bendix pads now and are OK.

One thing that is good on the 31/2 is the rear drum.