Battery for 350 Sport

The 3 1/2 forum
gra120466

Battery for 350 Sport

Post by gra120466 »

Hi fellow Morinis

I have a 1978 Sport soon to be reunited with the road.
I need some recommendations regarding battery types and suppliers which would be most helpful - Gel types whatever, what are my options?

Many thanks, Graham
3potjohn

Re: Battery for 350 Sport

Post by 3potjohn »

I have had an Odyssey PC680 which was on the bike when I got it. I replaced it this year with an Xtreme battery. I have an e-start.
Last edited by 3potjohn on 13 Jul 2020 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

gra120466 wrote:Hi fellow Morinis

I have a 1978 Sport soon to be reunited with the road.
I need some recommendations regarding battery types and suppliers which would be most helpful - Gel types whatever, what are my options?

Many thanks, Graham
Hi, if yours is a kickstart only model then the standard battery was 12N9-3b which gives you the dimensions of the battery space. You can get much better sealed types now but not so many choices with exactly those dimensions. You can easily use a smaller 7 ah or 5ah battery as long as you have a good charging system of course.
I recently replaced mine and one of the only sealed types with the right dimensions was a YB9-B branded SLA.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

I've used the Motobatt MB9U in a customer's '74 Sport and will be using the same in my '77 Strada.
gra120466

Post by gra120466 »

Thanks all for your responses.
Re the Motobatt variety, MB9U, I have looked these up and there seems to be plenty out there, are they all the same? Also, it seems to have four terminals, whereas of course my Sport only has connections for two. Am i being dumb or does one just connect to two of those four?

Many thanks again
Graham
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Graham,
yes, just connect two of the 4. They intelligently designed the batteries to make them suit bikes that want the terminals in a particular location e.g. positive on the front left for some bike models and front right for others. I happen to use both sets of terminals on my motobatt in my K1 501-engined bike as that means I can wire the main circuits on one of the terminals and the other is used for ancillary connections e.g. a USB charging point and for my archaic yet still tolerable GPS unit.

Julian
gra120466

Post by gra120466 »

julianharty wrote:Graham,
yes, just connect two of the 4. They intelligently designed the batteries to make them suit bikes that want the terminals in a particular location e.g. positive on the front left for some bike models and front right for others. I happen to use both sets of terminals on my motobatt in my K1 501-engined bike as that means I can wire the main circuits on one of the terminals and the other is used for ancillary connections e.g. a USB charging point and for my archaic yet still tolerable GPS unit.

Julian
Great ok, many thanks for that.
Blimey I got a map on my tank bag pocket, I may need get myself up to speed!!
Graham