New member intro and 1984 350 K2 questions/reveal!

The 3 1/2 forum
R1100purist

New member intro and 1984 350 K2 questions/reveal!

Post by R1100purist »

Hello all, my name is Owen Lloyd and I live in Virginia Beach, VA. I recently moved here from California (Navy) and have restored a few BMWs, Moto Guzzis, Hondas (CT90s), and a Sears Allstate (Puch) 250. However a big thing happened to me the other week... I have always wanted a Moto Morini and got my hands on a fairly descent 1984 K2. It will need a medium amount of work to get to the level it deserves to get back on the road but all in all I think it will be a fun "restoration."

My plan is to paint, de rust, and powder coat things that are in need but otherwise leave the bodywork as it came off the line in January 1984. I figure original paint is only original once, but one can make the other bits more cosmetically appealing and bring up the bike overall.

I will need a lot of help a long the way and already have a multitude of questions, but I figure I will meter them out as I get to the relevant portion of the refresh. Attached are some photos.

A few things I know I will need from the get go however are: 1. a stock air box (mine has pod filters) 2. a shift lever (mine has been ground off at the end). I have not been able to find these accouterments on eBay (for a reasonable price) so I will be beholden to anyone who can help me track them down.

-Owen
61430965793__086BC2E9-BD8B-476C-BE42-CBC0C44A0D97-2.JPG
61430965793__086BC2E9-BD8B-476C-BE42-CBC0C44A0D97-2.JPG (141.02 KiB) Viewed 8683 times
IMG_1429.jpg
IMG_1429.jpg (142.72 KiB) Viewed 8683 times
IMG_1415.jpg
IMG_1415.jpg (99.93 KiB) Viewed 8683 times
Ming

Re: New member intro and 1984 350 K2 questions/reveal!

Post by Ming »

Hello Owen, I too have a K2 in a similar condition. Doubt I can help much spares wise, though I do have an airbox in useable condition, I imagine delivery would be expensive. I'll check for a gear lever too. I have a fair bit of information up in the cloud which I can give you access to if you PM me your email address.
Seeing your Avatar - I also have an old R1100R. Here's the K2
Cote gauche r.JPG
Cote gauche r.JPG (437 KiB) Viewed 8668 times
bizzywizzy

Post by bizzywizzy »

Look at Herdan Corp for spares in the USA. herm has a large stock at reasonable prices.

herdan.com

Mike
R1100purist

Post by R1100purist »

Ming, your K2 looks to be in better shape. Or at least shiny-er. My first bike was a R1100RS and then I had a GS but have since moved on from modern BMWs. The R was Always a nice model!

The only thing I was finding on eBay was a filter from Germany for $160+50 Shipping so anything less than that would be a deal.

I’ll check out the Herdan Corp. again. I found their website difficult to navigate and not very specific on what part was what but I’ll give them a call and see if that helps.

I think first order of business as usuall is disassembly, taking lots of photos, and examination.
themoudie

Post by themoudie »

Aye Owen, I have a 1986 K2 with the same colour scheme as yours, welcome!

Having just spent a wee while putting the 'standard' airfilter housing together and re-installed it after cleaning the air filters inside and using stainless steel M4 screws/washers/self locking nuts to hold it all together, the zinc plated originals had to be cut off due to corrosion! I would be inclined to stick with the simplicity of the pod filters, unless originality is your goal. Not only will you have to find a filter housing, but the two rubber intake hoses from the filter housing to the carbs and once fitted the housing chafes the left-hand throttle cable, unless a semi-circular cut out is made in the upper moulding! :roll: You also need to remove the left-hand carb to install the housing. All in all a bit of a :twisted: fitment!

Cheaper and probably better to fit a pair of K&N pod filters and spend the time running the bike, rather than fixing it, which is what I am having to do on a machine with less than 29,000Km (18,000 miles) under it's wheels.

Plenty of info on the forum, you just need to be creative with your 'Search' wording to extract the information. :wink:

Good health, Bill
R1100purist

Post by R1100purist »

Themoudie, thanks for the tips! That does sound like a lot of work with the air box. My goal after lurking on this forum for a while was to get rid of the K&Ns because other members posted they had issues with jetting and supporting the carb elbow to the head. I am trying to avoid fooling around with jetting as it is not a strong point of mine, but I’m open to recommendations. Is there a super thread with pod filter Q&As with definitive recommendations for jetting? Also isn’t there an issue with one of the carbs being exposed to the airblast thus affecting running?
norbert

Post by norbert »

Hi Owen,
if the filterhousing of the K2 is the same as the other Tremezzo (I guess it is so), I can offer you a used one for a reasonable price. The rubber elbows are offerd here in germany for 60€ a pair (plus porto inside the country). If you are interested, I could order the elbows for you so it would be only one package from Gremany to the States (no idea of shipping costs :roll: ). I´m going on holidays in about 10 days and will be back 10th of august. So if you are not in a hurry things could be arranged in august. I´m not sure if I can also order the filters itselfs (I only have the housing, probably with very old filters inside), but I can phone up my dealer and ask him.
Using pot filters you should make yourself some brackets to hang the carbs. Some people have problems with pot filters with the rear carb because it´s facing directly into the wind. Others use them since years without complaining ... :roll:

If you are interested send me a private mail and we can see what could be done. (I could order the stuff before my holiday sending it to my work so it will be there when I come back)

And have a look at the rubber manifolds cilinderhead-carb After standing a lot of years often they have to be replaced as well because the use to become stonehard (60€ a pair as well)

greetings from Lübeck/Germany
norbert
themoudie

Post by themoudie »

Aye Norbert, thank you for the positive assessment of K2 airboxes etc. for Owen.

I'm getting a bit jaundiced with my K2 as the more I look the more 'little jobs' I find! :roll:

Have a good holiday. :D

My regards, Bill
norbert

Post by norbert »

But once running they are very grateful bikes and the motor of the K2 is one of the bests :wink:
Ming

Post by Ming »

R1100purist wrote:T...My goal after lurking on this forum for a while was to get rid of the K&Ns because other members posted they had issues with jetting and supporting the carb elbow to the head. ...
I know what you mean. My K2 has pod filters too, which I intended to change back to original having read so many posts on their problems. However, mine starts and runs 'on the button' and feels to have plenty of power all the way up. As I don't use it a great deal I have not got any further with it on the If It Aint Broke principle. It's a job you can always do when the bike is back up and running, though it does mean tank removal and some wriggling about.
AntietamClassicCycle

Post by AntietamClassicCycle »

I think there's a spare (early) airbox in my stash of parts, may have the rubber boots as well.
norbert

Post by norbert »

AntietamClassicCycle wrote:I think there's a spare (early) airbox in my stash of parts, may have the rubber boots as well.
That would be the easiest way! :wink:
R1100purist

Post by R1100purist »

Alright all, thanks for the thoughtful replies. I'm going to work with Charlie (Antietam cycles, PM sent) to see what his spare airbox situation is. I think I will give it the ol' college try to make it work as I am philosophically inclined to stock and airboxes in general.

As for the rest of the bike, this will be a slower project as I have a Moto guzzi convert project already, and a new daughter (see her in the 3rd photo above) so my garage time is reduced significantly. I'll continue to post as often as I have an update/questions which I am sure I will have many. I'm already confused why the carbs have 3 apparent vaccum ports each!

-Owen
norbert

Post by norbert »

Hi Owen,

this will be the best way toch choose :wink:

The VHBZ 25 HS Dellortos only have one vaccum port (the bigger one). The other two are ventilation ports for the float chamber.

norbert
R1100purist

Post by R1100purist »

So update from me. Started slowly taking things apart for cleaning and refurb starting with the carbs: after an order from Euro carb here is what I have:
97935E6D-9B13-4D7A-B29F-267D3FE37F2F.jpeg
97935E6D-9B13-4D7A-B29F-267D3FE37F2F.jpeg (88.91 KiB) Viewed 8316 times
I used my ultrasonic cleaner and aviation simple green so get them clean an degunked. I think they were not run in 30 years, so they were pretty nasty!!

I got another surprise when I took off the right side engine cover to degrease all the junk there and I realized the starter motor has been removed! I know this starter was relatively complex and not well loved when new but: 1. I think I would like one? 2. Does anyone have a spare starter sitting on a shelf I could buy. I already am going to run a pc680 so I am not worried about insufficient battery strength.