Clutch centre hub needed

The 3 1/2 forum
70sbikes

Clutch centre hub needed

Post by 70sbikes »

Hello all,

I am in the process of stripping down my 1976 3 1/2 Sport. I had a heck of a time removing the clutch centre hub nut, and while I eventually managed to get it off, I also managed to crack the clutch centre hub (boy, did I cuss!). So, I am wondering if someone has a spare they would be willing to sell me (I'm in Australia, so I know postage will be expensive).

Cheers

Trevor
70sbikes

Re: Clutch centre hub needed

Post by 70sbikes »

I've bought a complete used clutch off eBay. At least I'll have some spare bits, ready for the next disaster...
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

My complete used clutch arrived today from Germany. Buying 2nd hand can be a roll of the dice, so I opened the package with some trepidation...

The clutch must have come off a very low mileage bike. The clutch centre hub is hardly worn. It's way better than the one I damaged. The fibre plates also look like new, and I could tell the springs have more "oomph" in them. When I swap the parts over, I should have a lovely clutch action.

I'm well chuffed.

Trevor
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Interesting that the parts catalogue shows 2 types of hubs for early and late models. How could you tell which yours was?
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi, Have you got a brass or nylon thrust washer in there? If brass, I can only suggest changing it to a nylon one and also shimming the endfloat to minimal clearance while you have it in pieces.
Don't forget a small amount of sealant on the splines to keep the oil inside the engine and not in the clutch.
Regards,George
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

The "new" clutch is a later one. It came with a nylon thrust washer and a shim, so I think I'm good. My bike shows signs of oil leaking into the clutch, so I'll be replacing the seals. I'll also be buying some Hylomar Universal Blue...