Starter...contact

The 3 1/2 forum
Al B

Starter...contact

Post by Al B »

The wrong order I know...

I have the occasional tinging sound coming from the right hand side of my sport. From the pitch of the sound it's something touching the starter ring on the flywheel however there's nothng nder the right hand cover that ought no to be there. It seems most common when tipping in to right hand corners. It is an occasional sounds ratherr than anything rubbing

There doesn't seem to be any movement in the bearing for the starter weight holder plate thingy, and the weights themsleves are all snug on their pins and held back by the springs. It all works fine to start the engine if I use the button

Any thoughts as to what may be able to touch the flywheel ring whilst the engine is running?

Alan
3potjohn

Re: Starter...contact

Post by 3potjohn »

I would think it’s worth checking the rotor is not touching anything and the coil cabling is secure in the little retaining bracket. The starter mechanism should be free when not activated.
You could remove the cover and see if it is still audible.
Also perhaps use a marker on the inside of the starter ring then start with kickstart and run then check the mark afterwards?
Someone will have a better idea perhaps!
Good luck
John
Al B

Post by Al B »

So I pulled the housing off and found the problem.
2.jpg
2.jpg (215.54 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
Everything was moving smoothly and properly in place when I put it together. The circlips and washers were all still there and all the springs in place when I took it apart. I unhooked it before taking the photo
3.jpg
3.jpg (311.7 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
The fragments are rounded on the edges, presumably where they were rattling around in the flywheel

Reckon I'll be needing some new starter shoes. A good thing it fires up easily enough when kick staring.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I think the metal is some sort of zinc alloy.That design was updated at some point to a more substantial shoe on a steel backing. I got a set of these “later” shoes which improved the starter action ( finally optimised by rebuilding the gearbox, fitting a new brush holder assembly etc new chain and a new Odyssey-like battery.)
At least the metal did not make it through to the other side of the rotor.
John
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Looks like you caught it before anything else got damaged. Are the shoes in the pic the earlier type then? And are the steel laminated shoes the later, heavier type? I get mixed up sometimes see...
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

My starter had a problem the other day. Wouldn't turn. On the kickstart there was mechanical rubbing. Two circlips had come off. One was missing. The two washers were also swimming around. Luckily no damage to rotor or the flailing arms. Just waiting for three new circlips (10*1) to put it together.

Check the circlips!
Al B

Post by Al B »

The circlips and washers were all still in place. About the only things that were!