swing arm

The 3 1/2 forum
dougi

swing arm

Post by dougi »

there is play on the swing arm :!: of my 1978 3-1/2 sport.the hole swing arm moves side to side at the pivot point of the swing arm. can you tell me what is wrong :?: i do not think it is the bushes. do they have spacers or washers on the spindal that need replacing :?:
neil

Post by neil »

Had a look in the parts catalogue and there aren't any spacers etc. From experience it's either the spindle or the bushes, maybe both. The spindles are available from NLM, not sure about the bushes. If there is not too much play you might get away with pumping grease into the nipples on each end of the spindle. Managed to delay replacing the bushes on my 250 single for a while by rotating the spindle half a turn and pumping in grease.
Neil.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

If the swing arm truly does only move side to side, then you can adjust it out.

Do NOT do this to mask worn bushes.

Undo both swing arm spindle nuts.

Using the flats on the end, unscrew the spindle slightly from the frame.

Holding the spindle by the flats, tighten the small nut on the other end. This pulls the side plates together and adjusts the end-float. Unscrew the spindle further to decrease the end-float, but make sure the swing-arm still moves freely.

Tighten large nut.

On later frames, there often seems to be a washer/shim to take up the majority of the end-float, minimising the flex needed on the side plates.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
dougi

Post by dougi »

thanks paul thats great i did,nt know that :shock: . i will take the wheel out and shocks off and adjust with the swing arm by itself no extra weight .
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Having read this earlier I returned with renewed vigour to try and remove my swingarm spindle which seemed to be stuck. I cable-tied up the swinging arm, being a lazy ar*e and after some difficulty finding a suitably sized spanner to match those flats on the spindle (I hammered a 15mm one on in the end) I have now got the blighter out. It doesn't seem too bad..........so I am going to bung it back in for now.