Bar end mirrors?

The 3 1/2 forum
Quello Serio

Bar end mirrors?

Post by Quello Serio »

My 1980 Sport has no mirrors, I think its time I got some. Has anyone any experience of bar end mirrors? I think they look good, but I suspect they may not be very functional, due to vibration, and being far away and low down. I have standard Sport clip-on handlebars.
pedro

Re: Bar end mirrors?

Post by pedro »

Good idea, just don't bother with cheap ones, they will be useless, get proper Halcyon mirrors and you will get a clear view, and they won't move.
simonnorthroad

Post by simonnorthroad »

I use a Halcyon B E mirror. It's great, work's perfectly
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

When I got my Sport it also had no mirrors and with a full face helmet and a rucksack I could not see over my shoulder.Given I was on the A4, M3 and A303 it was somewhat entertaining and the gear lever came loose passing Yeovil as well and I had to hold it in with my boot. I have fitted a pair of handlebar mirrors. Although seemingly identical the left one is more blurry than the right. I too have wondered about bar end mirrors but have stuck with what I have for now. Anything is better than nothing though.
John
Stubaker58

Post by Stubaker58 »

When I got my sport it had a handlebar fairing with mirrors, they were falling off! Having taken the fairing off no mirrors. There is a threaded hole on the clutch lever but nothing on the (disc) brake lever so I opted for a bar end mirror. The problem was the inner diameter of the swan neck clip-ons that are fitted, external 22mm but internally way too small for a standard bar end. I managed to find one cheap type that I managed to force on, it is tiny but works surprisingly well!
huub

Post by huub »

i've got cheap chinese ones on the 350 sport , they are remarkably effective , instead of seeing your own arm in the mirror you can actually see what is happening behind you.
absolutely recommended
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

When I got my sport it had a handlebar fairing with mirrors, they were falling off! Having taken the fairing off no mirrors. There is a threaded hole on the clutch lever but nothing on the (disc) brake lever so I opted for a bar end mirror.
For disk brake sport I made an adaptor from M17 Hex bar to replace the brake lever bolt so it has an extension to fit a standard M10x1.25 thread mirror.

Cheers
Mark
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Another recommendation for good Halcyon bar end mirrors. I just have one on the right hand side. If you go continental touring, don't forget to swap it to the left bar, otherwise you'll just get an excellent view of the hard shoulder behind you.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

I also use Halclon bar end mirrors, never had a problem with them, well only once when the wind blew the bike over and smashed the lens.
Regards Pete.
Stubaker58

Post by Stubaker58 »

For disk brake sport I made an adaptor from M17 Hex bar to replace the brake lever bolt so it has an extension to fit a standard M10x1.25 thread mirror.
That sounds like an excellent idea, I’ll investigate further.
Regards
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Stubaker58 wrote:
That sounds like an excellent idea, I’ll investigate further.
Regards
Just be aware that you can damage a mastercylinder if you hit the mirror hard on something. Iv'e got two cylinders with lever pivots broken off (I didn't break them!) .

You can buy a modified clamp cap that incorporates a mirror mounting boss.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

acemorini wrote:I also use Halclon bar end mirrors, never had a problem with them, well only once when the wind blew the bike over and smashed the lens.
Regards Pete.
Has anyone ever managed to change the lens in these? I have several with broken lenses and when I tried to extract the lens from a chrome one to go into a black one . . .
well, I then had another broken one!
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

I use the sprung type mirror mount adaptors that will rotate or shear if excessive force is applied thus preventing damage to the master cylinder side mirror mount or indeed the clutch lever side mount. I just bought one from XL moto cost about 9 pounds.
Mark

Mark
Brickboy

Post by Brickboy »

I've used cheap bar end mirrors for years but the magnification is usually too great to make them useful. Recently I've taken to glueing on a cheap mirror glass - I started when I happened to have a single redundant mirror arm. It's a million times better for it - I guess Halcyon ones must have the correct reducing glass. I've not tried them but all the many others I have tried have magnified giving a tiny field of view - the opposite of what you want!

Simon
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I agree Simon, the convex mirrors are so small that you only see a car behind you when it's in the middle of the overtake. (I only discovered this when I bought a Royal Enfield Bullet...). Halcyon give a proper sized clear image, and they're all I use now.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."