3 1/2 Questions!

The 3 1/2 forum
Vitesse

3 1/2 Questions!

Post by Vitesse »

So . . .

I've been lurking round the forum for a bit and even did Cadwell (on my Guzzi!) but I've finally bought a Morini. Yet to collect it but that's another story. A couple of, hopefully, quick questions from a noob:

1. For a 77/78 bike are the Sport and Strada side panels interchangeable? I've always preferred the look of the early type rounded panel but Sports seem to have (certainly mine does) the more angular type.

2. I've seen reference on the Dutch site to a changeover kit to take the gearshift to the left. Do these still exist or am I likely to see a unicorn first? It's so long since I've used a RH gearshift that I'm not convinced it will end well!

3. Post NLM, is Mdina Italia the 'go to' place for service parts or is there a better alternative?

And the 1/2 question (as I'm sure I know the answer) - if a bike had a full rebuild from NLM 9 years a go but has only done 300 miles since, is a new cambelt a must do item? What's the average time it takes to do one for someone handy with spanners (I do have a Guzzi !!!!)?

Thanks.
Last edited by Vitesse on 26 Aug 2019 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
JonD

Re: 3 1/2 Questions!

Post by JonD »

Book says 20,000km or 3 years for the belt - so it should be changed. Watch Paul Compton's YouTube videos on the cam belt change, you'll find then very helpful first time round. I think it took about 2 hours first change, less than an hour second time.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Just watched the video - about 11 minutes then!!
norbert

Post by norbert »

The side panels are interchangable. I´d sugest:try to get used to the right hand gearshift. It´s always better than the vonversion to the left :wink:
Al B

Post by Al B »

There are a few variations of left hand gearchange.

The factory 'retro fit' used for the american market - not known for it's shift quality!
The late (K2?) setup - much improved
and a couple of after market versions, one of which goes around the front of the engine

My bike had the first one and there are about 5 extra brackets and bits of tube welded onto the frame for the gear cross shaft, the lever pivot, the brake cable stop etc. Plus a motley selection of pushrods and levers.

There have been a couple of threads about LH shifts so a search should turn up some photos of the various types

Alan
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Congrats!
Another in favour of the RHS shift. Although there will be the odd 'oops' moment, you might surprise yourself. It really isn't hard and it's good for the brain to give it a challenge. Practice while sitting on a stool.
Cheers,
DD
MRC 3082½
Ming

Post by Ming »

Daddy Dom wrote:Congrats!
Another in favour of the RHS shift. Although there will be the odd 'oops' moment, you might surprise yourself. It really isn't hard and it's good for the brain to give it a challenge. Practice while sitting on a stool.
Cheers,
DD
My sentiments, too (not sure about the stool...). I have (and have had) Morinis with both left and right hand changes. I found the 'factory' versions as fitted to K2 and Kanguro to be fine if you really need a LH shift, but I'm still happy with my '76 Strada's RH shift. I also have an old Bantam with a long movement RH shift, a BMW which needs a positive boot (LH) and a 250 Yamaha which changes gear almost by thought transference. I'm sure the necessity to be aware of what you are currently using is good for the old brain, plus a right hand shift can act as a deterrent to nasty folk...
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Welcome to Morini ownership.
1. For a 77/78 bike are the Sport and Strada side panels interchangeable? I've always preferred the look of the early type rounded panel but Sports seem to have (certainly mine does) the more angular type.
Yes but Stradas (GT) also went to angular type in 78 or 79 following the change in 76 for disk brake sports to have angular panels.
I think that the angular panels complement the more angular tank with raised centre section and the original red/black paintwork.

Given the low usage i would change the oil too.
Also check the tyres for date code and the battery too as standard morini regulators will not charge a dead battery.

Mark
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

mbmm350s wrote:Welcome to Morini ownership.

Given the low usage i would change the oil too.
Also check the tyres for date code and the battery too as standard morini regulators will not charge a dead battery.

Mark
Thank you. Fortunately the current owner has done oil changes and kept the battery alive. I'll do an oil change but it's not an immediate action. Tyres might be from before date stamps!!!
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

I'll do an oil change but it's not an immediate action
shame to leave it, as especially for @MickeyMoto, another entertaining, "A what oil should I use in my Morini" debate is long overdue on this forum"

Mark
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

:)

Very 'slick' answer!
themoudie

Post by themoudie »

Aye Mark,

I'll rise to the bait! :D

Just put this stuff in a K2, "5L 20W50 Fully Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 4 Stroke API SM 20W-50 5 Litres V-Twin", very slick! Sold by Westway Lubricants on Fleabay. Time will tell.

My regards, Bill
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Ooohhhhh, fully synthetic?

I'll drag up my chair... :)
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

themoudie wrote:
Just put this stuff in a K2, "5L 20W50 Fully Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 4 Stroke API SM 20W-50 5 Litres V-Twin", very slick! Sold by Westway Lubricants on Fleabay. Time will tell.

My regards, Bill
Dare I ask - how did you get 5 litres in then? :D
nicko

Post by nicko »

Vitesse wrote:
themoudie wrote:

My regards, Bill
Dare I ask - how did you get 5 litres in then? :D
Normally by forgetting to replace the sump plug prior to refilling :D

As for oil, I have recently used Smith & Allan 10w-40 4-Stroke 4T Semi Synthetic but only put 2.5l in.