top clamp

The 3 1/2 forum
mad muller

top clamp

Post by mad muller »

having had the bike out again have noticed the the steering head bolt, thats the big one that goes through the clamp , keeps backing off , the allen bolt that is supposed to stop it backing off is fully tight to the point of it could strip or snap , any ideas what the fix could be, wouldnt like to part company with the bottom yoke at speed, its a 350 k1 sport. ta muller
MarkB

Re: top clamp

Post by MarkB »

Is Loctite too obvious a suggestion?
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
davel182

Post by davel182 »

I had a similar problem on my 350 K1 Sport when I tried a Strada top yoke (so I could fit handlebars instead of clip-ons). I found that the clamp on the 'new' top yoke was about 2mm bigger than the original so, of course, the clamp bolt does nothing. Everything else was the same so not sure why the difference. I did use a shim which cured the problem but eventually went back to the original anyway. Probably not the same problem but I mention it just in case.
mad muller

Post by mad muller »

no loctite not a bad idea never thought of that , maybe a shim would work, just annoying really niggles on your mind, maybe try another bolt its as if the clamp is worn and pinch bolt wont close it up .