Stainless silencer options

The 3 1/2 forum
fiasco

Stainless silencer options

Post by fiasco »

Hi there,

before I jump in with my first question a bit about myself.

I am based in Vienna/Austria, bought my 3 1/2 Sport about 3 years ago in a run down state. Most interestingly, the bike was first registered in the UK, then imported to Austria by the British owner. I completely restored the beauty over the last 2 years improving a lot of things and upgrading it to 400cc. It's been my first project like this and it was a lot of learning by doing, I do not have any experience in mechanics etcs. I never dared to really touch the engine so far, but now started to work on the cylinder heads, optimizing the airflow and thinking about replacing valves and guides ... this is untouched land for me. I built it to be ridden, that was the premise. Love the handling and tend to ride it a lot for daily commutes, mostly in the city and some weekend trips around the area.

So far so good, but about a month ago someone knocked the bike over with a car (in the most stupid way as you can imagine). It still had the original Lafranconis 11042S in a very good condition installed, the right one is heavily scratched with two awful dents now - so I am looking for a replacement. I have always thought of a stainless replacement and have found bits and pieces of information in various threads, but would like to get some first hand experience shared.

I am looking for opinions on the stainless silencers from Armour, Feked and Keihan, specifically:
- Performance: Any recognizable difference? Does anyone know whether the inner parts/baffling resembles the originals?
- Sound: comparable to the original ones, louder/quieter (wouldn't mind them a bit more vocal to be honest)
- Fit to bike and finish (anyone got a photo of the Keihans?)

On another note, does anyone know whether any of the manufacturers is open to do a custom set? I have always been dreaming of a stainless version of the Lafranconi Competizione (similar to these for Guzzis: http://www.ducati-development-dortmund. ... ild143.jpg). I could even think of ramping up a small order of 5 or 10 sets (guess demand is out there).

Looking forward to your reply,
Christian
MickeyMoto

Re: Stainless silencer options

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hallo Christian und willkommen!

Try here for silencers... https://motostoricheitaliane.com

By the way, on eBay there is a guy in Osterreich called Exploded Bikes who has used Morini teile...

MFG

Mike
P&S

Post by P&S »

If you are talking of the first design silencers, made of two shells with a welded lip,
there are two main producers in Italy , they are both not stainless.
One is Busso http://www.bussosilencers.com/sito/prodotto/morini,
the other one is Brezzi Samuele http://www.brezzisamuele.com/it/catalog ... .gp.117.uw
Other companies are selling these same two items.
They both look good and are well made. They also last much longer than the original Lafranconi of '70 and '80.
Busso is close to the original Lafranconi structure, it is very heavy, sound as the original, a lot choked.

Brezzi Is lighter, not choked and more noisy (very nice sound)

If anybody finds a producer for "Lafranconi riservato competizione" I have detailed drawings of the inner structure and would be part in the order.
Mepstein

Post by Mepstein »

Fiasco - welcome to the site. Make sure to hold on to your original exhaust. The dents and scratches can be fixed. I'm having a buddy of mine make me some new silencers since his background is building stainless steel exhaust for Porsche's. But he's busy with other projects right now so it will be a while before he gets to me.
fiasco

Post by fiasco »

P&S wrote: If anybody finds a producer for "Lafranconi riservato competizione" I have detailed drawings of the inner structure and would be part in the order.
Hi Paolo (if I am not mistaken),

thanks for your reply and cross-sharing the information from the Italian forum. I am currently talking to Keihan for production of the Riservato per Competizione silencers, 1:1 replicas, the minimum is 10 sets. They are going to be stainless, but I am more than ok with that. Still interested?

What they would need is a sample. I have not been successful so far to arrange one (do you know the guy from where the photos were taken by chance? https://motomoriniclub.forumcommunity.net/?t=60258486).
P&S

Post by P&S »

Hi Christian
As you already know from Riccardo , he can send you his sample.
Our idea to reproduce some “riservato competizione” is to have the inner structure installed in a traditional straight body replica. We can get some of those shells from the producers.
This would give a “riservato competizione quality and sound with the look of a regular 3 1/2. (we mostly try to keep our bikes as original as possible).
What I would like to know is what Keihan would build.
What they produce now is a conical silencer close to that of K model Morini’s.
Will they use that shape and technology, or will make a two shells with a welded Lip?
What I would prefer instead of buying silencers that I don’t know what they would look like is, as Riccardo suggested, get from Keihan some couples of inner structures fo fit in our shells.(plain steel shells are good enough to last many years and kilometers and can both be painted in black or chrome plated).
Hope this collaboration ( despite brexit :( ) will lead to the desired result.
Address me for next steps.
Paolo.

P&S

Post by P&S »

pedro

Post by pedro »

Music, there would be plenty of people wanting these, I am sure. (Me for one)
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Interesting.I have Keihan silencers on 2 beemers for MANY years. Never ever an issue with either sets.I will need to replace my old black chrome Sitos at some point, though I did the old trick of filling them up with old engine oil once to try and preserve them.
70sbikes

Post by 70sbikes »

I have Armours pipes on my bike. Not too loud, but also not very restrictive. At first, I was disappointed at the thin, tapered look, but now I quite like them.

fastharry

Post by fastharry »

I have 2 Lafranconi silencers brand new never fitted if they are of any use to you? they are not stainless, they were the last 2 that Nlm had at the time, One is black the other was chrome, i sprayed them both with satin black heat resistant paint so they would at least match.
Attachments
20181220_164534.jpg
20181220_164534.jpg (455.95 KiB) Viewed 11783 times
Db7gtgrigio

Post by Db7gtgrigio »

I have aright side Lafranconi Riservato Competitzione silencer that I would be happy to allow to be used as a pattern to make some new ones and would definitely want to buy a setsorry for the late response!!!
P&S

Post by P&S »

Thank to both of you.
We have already sent our sample of Lafranconi riservato competizione to Kekihan in february and they received it.
We had no news yet and Fiasco is not
answering to my e-mails.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

You would have thought you would hear from Keihan by now.Is this a brexit thing?
P&S

Post by P&S »

Of course not.
Is Christian (fiasco) that is a bit lazy.
I know this is not the place for politics, but I think this "Brexit thing" wont bring any benefit to Britain.
But my love for your country will not change. In fact I am in England now with my 3 1/2.