78 350 strada project, new member.

The 3 1/2 forum
andyp

78 350 strada project, new member.

Post by andyp »

hello chaps, bought myself a 78 strada back in march, two boxes of rust and a boat anchor for a frame ATL 848s a3 14137. firstly, like a lot of people i loved these bikes back in the 70's but could never afford one so am completely unfamiliar with them. so those of you with experience/knowledge of the model, if in my position and about to do a ground up restoration would you advise on any modification/changes or improvements/ engine, electrics, braking etc,obviously without going too silly and detracting from the character and beauty of these machines. secondly, would like to restore this bike to look like a sport and wondered what the general feeling was regarding originality, tried to find a sport project from this era but that was easier said than done. cheers. Andy.
hi, just bought a morini 78 3 1/2 strada basket case so hopefully will be talking to you boys for tips, guidance, help...............
robint

Post by robint »

Welcome to the fold.....

Lots of help available - also much can be found using the search as well for specific items and the Tech tips bit.

Originality - shouldn't worry too much about that as even paint colour varied from day to day (almost) at Morini....but sensible mods (some electrics, switchgear, rearset on Sports etc) make the bike much more useable on a day to day basis.

For bits use NLM in Ellistown Leicester (see link elsewhere) as world suppliers and gurus - friendly and helpful but bits are not necessarily cheap..... There are also a couple of other people who do work on restoration and joining the club and getting the magazine (back issues via ebay?) A Tutto Gas provides more info and connections.

Bikes are easy and straightforward to work on but some special tools needed in the engine dept and getting the carbs balanced can be a little trying - try try and try again really, but once set make the bike run a treat.

I have a 78 Sport, frame no 14432 so not so far from yours and apart from rearsets, Yamaha switches, Hagon shocks, Stainless exhausts, different gearbox sprocket, mirrors, rack and improved wiring connectors and a little clock (to enable going home before riding grin becomes permanent!!) its quite original......
robint
(Morini, Enfield, Deauville, SLK and home to support)
andyp

Post by andyp »

thanks for that, trying to gather as much info as possible at the moment, had a look on nlm website, think they will be doing pretty well out of me over the coming months, also joined the club, there seems to be a meet just up the road from me in otley, 1st sunday. havent made contact yet but will soon. think its probably going to be a fairly lengthy project but hopefully have it back on the road for the first time since 91 next summer. cheers, Andy.
hi, just bought a morini 78 3 1/2 strada basket case so hopefully will be talking to you boys for tips, guidance, help...............