Obtaining spare ignition keys - a success story

The 3 1/2 forum
julianharty

Obtaining spare ignition keys - a success story

Post by julianharty »

Another minor experience was getting extra ignition keys cut. I only had one for the recently acquired 3 1/2

I first ordered a couple from Rob at NLM which arrived the next day, however they turned out to be slightly smaller and narrower in their cross-section than my lock. Thankfully my local locksmith dug into their many and various key blanks (they apparently used to cut motorbike keys and ship them throughout the UK many years ago). For £12 I left with 2 new keys cut to fit and will return the first set of blanks to Rob in the new year.

If anyone would like details of the company, they're called B Hatt Locksmiths and based in High Wycombe. Probably better to visit in person if practical, the locksmith explained that mail order had proved prohibitive as a business for various reasons.
corsaro chris

Re: Obtaining spare ignition keys - a success story

Post by corsaro chris »

Thanks Julian - useful info...

One of the locksmiths in Wokingham cut me a couple of keys for the 350 a couple of years ago; he used blanks from JMA which he ordered in especially. Like you, I don't think that it is ever OK to just have one key for the ignition. I hadn't realised that NLM had spare blanks at the time, but there is obviously some variation in thicknesses anyway!

Happy New Year!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Cruising-Blue

Post by Cruising-Blue »

After 19 years of riding my 1974 3 1/2 with just one key and after fruitless searches at various key cutting businesses I spied what I thought looked like a suitable blank on ebay.

After sending some images of my existing original and providing the ID number, I am now the proud owner of a spare key which works perfectly :-)

Another success story thanks to Eric Johnson of Motokeys!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/EJs-Motokeys?_ ... 7675.l2563
'74 Sport
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

Clive,
glad you were inspired to get a spare key. Was the key blank actually listed on their ebay web site?

Ciao

Julian
TimG.

Post by TimG. »

I needed a second (spare) key for the locking petrol cap and took it to the local Timpson's outlet at Tesco - they had a fat book of key blanks, matched it up, ordered one in and a few days later cut me a working spare.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

NLM told me some years ago now that Timpsons have the blanks in stock.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
Cruising-Blue

Post by Cruising-Blue »

Hi Julian, yes, the key blank was listed on their ebay site: "Key Blank for Harley Davidson Aermacchi Moto Guzzi MV Agusta Ducati Fiat ISP2". I sent images of my existing CEV key just to make sure... Regards, Clive
Attachments
Morini Key 1.jpg
Morini Key 1.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 8193 times
'74 Sport
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

I have previously posted the Silca key-blank serial numbers here, in case anyone needs them ;)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1761&hilit=+key+blank
MRC 3082½