Magnetic oil filtration

The 3 1/2 forum
3potjohn

Magnetic oil filtration

Post by 3potjohn »

Has anyone tried or considered using magnetic oil filtration? I know of this application in bikes with canister filters. I guess the only options would be fitting a rare earth magnet to the filter cover, or the drain plug. Not sure if the presence of such a device within "earshot" of the generator would have any undesirable effects.
jb666

Post by jb666 »

I have a magnetic sump plug in my 3 1/2 and have had no problems with interference. It does collect a small amount of sludge which is cleared every oil change. I can't remember if I bought it from WeeVee or Elbymoto when I bought the bike in the early 80's.

John.
buzby

Post by buzby »

I also have a magnetic drain bolt bought in the eighties and it causes no problems .I wish I could find another one for for my other Morini . NLM do not have any.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have ordered some neodymium magnets to play around with. Well it beats all this sunbathing....
Each is supposed to be capable of lifting 13kg so I expect to find the postman stuck to my letterbox on Monday. I will be wary of passing over manhole covers.