valve gaps

The 3 1/2 forum
dunk 1

valve gaps

Post by dunk 1 »

looking in the manual to adjust the tappets there seems to be tow different figures 1mm and 0.1 mm can someone clarify this for me please
thanks - duncan
dunk
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Valve timing is checked with the valve clearance set at 1mm. You should only ever need to do this if the engine has been completely stripped and pulleys or camshaft changed.

The running clearance should be set to 0.1mm.

Make sure you're using the right set of marks for the cylinder and that you're on the compression stroke.

The rocker tips tend to wear and this can lead to a false reading. You can get feeler wires, but narrowing a cheap gauge to slighty less than the valve stem width works. I use a diamond lap to remove the step from the rocker face, so I can use a full with gauge.

Do check feeler gauges, some sets are WAY out.!
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

The late Phil Smith used to recommend setting to nearer 6 thou rather than 4 if running a 2 + 2 or L5 cam. Better a noisy tappet than a tight one :wink:
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

yes you are right, I run a 0.15mm clearance on my 2+2 cam'd 501 motor and it makes all the difference.
stillooking

valve gaps

Post by stillooking »

I run 1mm gaps .....I better go and sort them out now! :)

ps can anyone help with japanese reg/rectfier swap?

Tks
G
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

Regarding japenese regulator/rectifier swap the morini's use a single phase generator, most japenese regulators are 3 phase (ie 3 yellow wires instead of two). I used a royal enfield regulator/rectifier which is single phase (manufactured under swiss name available on ebay for about £10).

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'