exhausts

The 3 1/2 forum
dunk 1

exhausts

Post by dunk 1 »

taking apart more bits and looking for more bodges I find where the left hand down pipe goes into the silencer a 9 inch long piece of copper pipe fixed into the downpipe and extending into the silencer I just can't see why! as both bits don't seem to be in particularly bad condition - should I cut it off or leave well enough alone?
also could anyone tell me what spanner fits the exhaust nuts please.
one more thing - the chain has obviously been run loose at some stage and has slightly grooved the frame bar that runs beneath it above the centre stand- it doesn't look too bad but am I missing something?

thanks again Duncan
dunk
3narf

Post by 3narf »

The LH pipe should extend into the silencer like that. Don't know why it'd be copper though; maybe someone cut it off then thought better of it and braized a bit on.

A small hinged c spanner fits the exhaust nuts (buy a good quality one, you'll need it).

Most frames will have the grooves from the chain, especially if the bike's had long shocks fitted at some point. Don't worry about it!
dunk 1

Post by dunk 1 »

thanks - that seems to cover it
duncan
dunk
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

When I had my original Strada I was told that this was to ensure that both pipes were similar in length. I am not sure if this was just one of those "Urban Myths" but it made sense at the time!

I am sure that those that know will tell us the true story - or we could always ASK LAMBERTINI when we see him at the Factory at NEXT YEARS Visit!!! 8)

CC
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

corsaro chris wrote:When I had my original Strada I was told that this was to ensure that both pipes were similar in length. I am not sure if this was just one of those "Urban Myths" but it made sense at the time!

I am sure that those that know will tell us the true story - or we could always ASK LAMBERTINI when we see him at the Factory at NEXT YEARS Visit!!! 8)

CC
That is indeed the theory. Next year's factory visit interests me. We could combine it with a Gilera Centenary wreath laying at Arcore :wink:
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Got to get a few days in at Venice as well - going to be another busy holiday. Just the sort that we enjoy!

PS - how is the trip to the Manx going? I seem to have booked a week at the IoM during practice week with Diane in the car(!)

CC
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

corsaro chris wrote:Got to get a few days in at Venice as well - going to be another busy holiday. Just the sort that we enjoy!

PS - how is the trip to the Manx going? I seem to have booked a week at the IoM during practice week with Diane in the car(!)

CC
All booked up, thanks to your supplied phone number. We are "next door" as in 2006 - the one with the grand piano and the comely daughters :D