oil filter

The 3 1/2 forum
dougi

oil filter

Post by dougi »

the oil filter in the 3 1/2 is a very basic filter,is there a safe modification of the oil filter to improve filtration of the oil ?
3narf

Post by 3narf »

Not really, without drilling/tapping/plugging the oil galleries on the P drive side and using fittings for an external filter.

Just change it regularly & don't worry- with 3 litres of oil it gets a relatively easy time.
dougi

magnetic plug

Post by dougi »

i had an idea.
my wife has a honda cb750 it has a magnetic drain plug fitted! has anyone fitted a magnetic drain plug to there morini ?
buzby

Post by buzby »

I have a magnetic drain plug which I bought from NLM many years ago and very good it is. When I enquired recently about buying another they had sold out and it seems they will not be getting any more.
dougi

Post by dougi »

that a pitty i would of liked a magnetic drain plug for my morini i will keep an eye on ebay
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Given that the dry clutch keeps the oil clean, the lubrication system is pretty adequate.

I run 10W40 semi synthetic, which Morini specified on later bikes (taking advantage of improved oil technology). I tend to change the oil when I can see the level on the dipstick without having to lay a piece of paper on it. I run the oil level half way between the Min and Max marks to avoid clutch seal leaks and almost never have to top up.

Conventional full flow oil filters don't remove particles below about 10 micron, whilst most engine wear is caused by particles around 5 micron. It might be worth running a bypass filter which filters down to 1 micron.

The pressure warning light boss would form a convenient point to tap off a feed to such a filter, with the return going back to the sump via the crankcase breather.

On the other hand, Morini engines are generally pretty long lived and just giving them a regular oil change is all that's needed.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru